Student art submissions

Student artwork from artists across campus will be put in the limelight this April in the Allegheny College Art Department’s annual Student Art Show. The exhibit will be on display April 6 through 25 in the Bowman, Penelec and Megahan Galleries and will commence with a public reception in the art galleries Tuesday, April 6 from 7 to 9 p.m. The Doane Prize awards will be presented the same night at 8 p.m.

Any student may submit artwork to the show regardless of their major or whether they are enrolled in art classes.

“I think some students have the mistaken assumption that it’s just for art students but that’s not the case,” said Richard Schindler, associate professor of art.

There is, however, the expectation that it is work that has been created during the student’s time at Allegheny, preferably within the past year.

Each student may submit up to 10 entries which can be in almost any medium, ranging from painting to performance art.

“The work that’s submitted for the show, generally, is really diverse,” said Assistant Professor of Art Darren Lee Miller, director of the art galleries. “Works on paper, drawing, print-making, painting, sculpture, functional pottery. We’re also encouraging students in comm arts classes who have done animation and video work.”

Entries will be received in the art gallery Monday, March 29, from 1:30 to 4 p.m. and Tuesday, March 30, from 1:30 to 5 p.m. Submissions will be judged and selected for the exhibit by the Director of the Erie Art Museum John Vanco, a 1968 Allegheny graduate.

“He does curatorial work at the museum all the time and is used to looking at work across different media,” Miller said.

In order to have their works considered for the Doane Prize awards, students must complete a separate entry form and submit a complete body of work, consisting of three to 10 related pieces in the same medium.

The Doane Prize awards will be judged by Vanco and faculty members of Allegheny’s art department. The awards name a first place winner and an honorable mention in three categories: drawing and painting, graphics, and sculpture or ceramics.

Cash prizes of $150 and $100 will be presented to the winners and honorable mentions, respectively, along with an inscribed book indicating the nature of the award.A Juror’s Award will also be given to the juror’s favorite piece of art in the exhibit.

Artwork that is not accepted into the Student Art Show still has the chance to be put on display in the “Salon de Refuses,” an exhibit that is put up by the Student Art Society in the hallways surrounding the galleries.

“The stuff that doesn’t get in still has a really good chance of being seen by the student body,” said Zachary Fradeneck,’11, president of the Student Art Society. “It’s interesting because less people actually go into the gallery than walk through the halls themselves, so sometimes it’s like the rejects tend to get more exposure.”

All students with completed artwork are encouraged to enter their pieces.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity for students and for faculty and staff across the campus to see what kind of creative, visual work their peers are making,” Miller said.

Fradeneck strongly agreed.

“I think the main benefit is that it gives students the chance to showcase their artwork and get a dialogue between students and faculty members and the entire campus community about art; their art,” he said.