March MCT madness

mctbackstage.com

Those who are weary of traveling to bars can taste the fine arts of Meadville while staying on campus this weekend. The Meadville Community Theater, located in Oddfellows, will continue its show “Da” for the second weekend this Friday and Saturday at 8:15 p.m. and Sunday at 2:15 p.m.
Written by Hugh Leonard in 1978 and directed by Audrey Schweitzer, “Da” tells the story of Charlie, a man returning to Ireland for his father’s funeral.

While clearing out his father’s home, figures from Charlie’s past resurface. Cues to the past introduce Charlie’s father, Da, to the audience. From there on, other childhood family members and friends appear, including Charlie’s younger self. These ghosts cause Charlie to battle with his past, especially his relationship with Da.
Director Audrey Schweitzer is especially excited about the performance and highlights the local actors’ work.

“Local people include Phil Shafer, a retired drama professor from Allegheny, Jim Hollerman, a math instructor at Allegheny and Logan Lilly, a Meadville high school student” Schweitzer said.
Shafer and Hollerman play Da and Charlie, respectively. Dave Neal, Lou Rich, Cathy Gorman, Deb Ormston, Jayme Jones and Meghan McGrath are also performers in the play, as characters of Charlie’s past and present.

Those who are interested in attending “Da” should call the Meadville Community Theater at 814-333-1773 to make reservations.
Tickets are $7.50 for students and senior citizens and $10.00 for adults. Additional performances will be held March 26 and 27 at 8:15 p.m.