GAP-sponsored major concert brings three artists to campus

The Major Events Committee and Gator Activities Programmings’ will be bringing three music artists to campus for this year’s major concert.

Hip-hop artist Hoodie Allen will headline the show, which will take place Saturday, March 5, at 7 p.m. in Shafer Auditorium.

Singer-songwriter and talented multi-instrumentalist Daya, a native of Pittsburgh, will open the show for Hoodie Allen, along with New York based hip-hop artist YONAS.

Abbie Maynard, ’18, a member of GAP, is looking forward to the big event.

“I’m excited to have a concert here,” Maynard said.  “I don’t go to any concerts so I think it’ll be fun.”

She does share the sentiment of many students, however, saying she would have preferred a more prominent single performance, or at least have the decision be more influenced by the Allegheny student body.

“I feel like GAP and ASG could have allocated the money a little better to get one big act instead of three small ones or asked for student input,” Maynard said.

Sam Talerico, ’16, a GAP vice president of annual events, said that the concert should appeal to a wide range of music tastes.

“I think it’s a great mix of different singers that Allegheny students will like.” Talerico said.

Talerico noted the recent change in the process of choosing artists for the Major Concert, a biannual event at Allegheny.

“MEC is not the same as it used to be,” Talerico said. “What happened was we kind of picked a few people from GAP. So we get people based on this specific website, based on agents and prices, and we could spend a specific amount. I think the grand total for all three was around $50,000.”

Jocelyn Serafin, ’17, a GAP vice president of annual events, shared the same sentiment as Talerico.

“There’s only four people who work on selecting the artists, along with two advisers,” Serafin said. “Because [MEC] deals with major events like Homecoming, Springest, etc., we try to keep it so it’s not that many people because it’s more productive to work with less people.”

Serafin said the image, as well as social and cultural reputation play an increasingly important role in the choosing of artists for the concerts.

“We have to make sure it is an artist that follows [Allegheny’s] statement of community. It’s about picking artists that are not going to create an unsafe space or make a lot of people uncomfortable, because it is a concert for the public,” Sarafin said.

Tickets for the concert can be purchased at ticketleap.com.

Public tickets for the event are $25. Tickets for students are $10 plus tax.  Students receive a discount on on their ticket and can purchase one additional ticket with the same discount.