Campus protests should not be overlooked or underestimated

The recent demonstrations in Missouri against racism lead to an interesting social movement on United States college campuses. Students all over the country start questioning their school’s policies and efforts against racism. They are starting to demonstrate – even at Allegheny.

As a German international student I was surprised to hear about these things. Not about the issues of racism itself, but students demonstrating against it. Most of the people I have met at Allegheny are open-minded and sincere, but, similar to Germans, they also complain a lot about negative issues within their country. I came to the U.S. and especially Allegheny because I share the love for this country, and I follow the news frequently. I have never heard of a student’s demonstration with a successful outcome and such an intense influence on other campuses before.

In my home country students frequently demonstrate, especially in the larger cities. We students are a big part of urban populations, and we use our voice accordingly. We go out on the streets and show what we want and what not and we are successful.

Tuition fee? A society in which only the wealthy people can study? No thanks! Education should be available for everyone. As a result of students demonstrations back in 2010, most German states decided to ban tuition fees from their campuses and to listen to students’ voices.

Nowadays, we face domestic violence, foreign terror threats and political decisions that can influence the future. Each of these issues need a movement, an awakening of a sleeping and question-free society not only in the U.S. but in every country around the world.

The recent demonstration at Allegheny’s campus was small, but a start. Students made up their minds, they questioned things and, most importantly, they used their voice in a peaceful manner to protest what they do not like. The  people involved might not have been the largest and most vocal group on campus, but they were a group that was brave enough to step up and try to make a change.