Hockey club remains positive despite low numbers

Allegheny’s ice hockey team returned to the ice on Oct. 25 against visiting University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. The game ended in an 8-3 loss.

The team has competed in four games since and has yet to find success. However, the team has remained positive.

The hockey club competes in the Open Tier 2 College Hockey East league, playing teams around the area. The furthest they travel is Wooster, Ohio, about two and a half hours from Meadville.

“The only team that we play in Allegheny’s conference is Wooster, but other than that we [play] little Pittsburgh schools and places around here,” said Trevor Gant, ’18.

With only 12 members the club is particularly small. The team is made up of three senior captains, four juniors and five sophomores.  The size may affect the team’s skill depth but promotes an enjoyable environment.

“We are super small, we only have around eight people so we are like super close to each other,” said Gant, “We never get in fights with each other like we all kind of just accept each other it’s not hostile at all.”

Ice hockey is one of the more affordable club sports on campus, costing $350 which goes to the clubs activities.

“The fee is fairly low, the other clubs pay upwards of $1,000.00,” said Hayden Moyer, ’17.

As president of the club, Moyer deals with the administration and financial side of running the team. The club is currently looking to lower the already minimal fee according to Moyer.

While the team travels for a few games each season, the majority of games are played at the Meadville Area Recreation Center. The program is always looking for more fans and members.

Gant said being a club sport at a DIII institute does not require an immense amount of commitment.  The team practices only two days a week and has approximately 10 to 12 games a season.

However, the club also holds benefits that varsity team sports possess such as team bonding, traveling opportunities and the ability to continue to play the sport you love.

“We take our own buses which is always fun. We drive ourselves so we will stop at Chipotle or go to Eatin’ Park at one in the morning,” Gant said.

Due to small numbers the organization is always looking for more participants and there is no requirement for experience to join the club.

“If anyone is interested we need people, if you can skate and you have a stick we will take you,” Gant said.

The team has members who have been playing hockey since they were 3 years old and those who have only played since their senior year of high school.

“I played hockey as a kid and when I found out Allegheny had a team it was great because I was able to go back to playing one of  the sports I loved,” said Joe Wesolowski, ’18. “It means a lot knowing someone who loves the game can play again in college even if they have been out of the game for sometime.”

The hockey club invites any of those interested in playing to contact Moyer.

The Gators step onto the ice Saturday, Dec. 5  against The College of Wooster at the MARC at 10 p.m.