Sports in Brief

Women’s Tennis:

After posting a 2–3 record last fall, the Allegheny women’s tennis team will start off their spring season on Saturday with a match against Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP).

Lauren Kristofo, ’11, two time All-NCAC First Team award winner, who played in first position throughout the fall in both singles and doubles competition (along with doubles partner Sara Longo, ’11), will lead the Gators  in the first match.  Janna Dickerson, ’12, who lost only one match this fall, is another player to watch.

The Gators dominated in matches against Grove City and Saint Vincent this fall winning 7–2 and 9-0, respectively, and are looking to add another win to their record.

Division II competitor IUP is currently ranked 10th in the region, and Allegheny is unranked as of yet, with no conference competition under their belt.

This match will give the Gators a chance to get back into the swing of tennis before the spring season kicks fully into gear.

Men’s Basketball:

The Gators posted wins fueled by outstanding individual performances against Oberlin and Denison last week, and entered last night’s home game against Hiram on a three game winning streak.

Forward Hank Heeter, ’10, set a career-high of 22 points against Oberlin following his breakout career high of 19 in the previous game against Kenyon.

At Denison, guard Craig Devinney, ’10, posted a season-high 21 points in the win which put the Gators in a three-way tie for second in the NCAC. Going into last night’s game against Hiram,

Allegheny was tied at 10–4 in conference play with Wittenberg and Wabash.

After last night’s game against Hiram, the team goes on the road for their final conference match-up against Ohio Wesleyan.

Women’s Basketball:

After three consecutive losses, the women’s basketball team has only one game left before the end of the regular season, excepting last night’s game against Hiram.

With a 6–7 rank in the conference and a 9–14 record overall, the Gators will look to boost their numbers and their morale in the NCAC Tournament.

In Saturday’s game against Denison, Jill Gregory, ’11, lit up the board with 17 points.  Brittany Bell, ’11, posted 11 points, including shooting 3–7 from behind the arc.

In the playoffs, the Gators will look to repeat games like the intense comeback match against Earlham, where the Gators defeated the competitionby almost 30 points after losing to them by six earlier in the season.

With the possibility of multiple rematches in the playoffs, the Gators need to stay on top of their game and edge out wins over conference competition if they want a successful run in the tournament.