8 Hour Projects return to campus First project of the year has artists focus on the theme of loss

By Meghan Hayman

Photo Editor

Outside of The Bowman Penelec Megahan Art Galleries students learned about the exciting possibilites of joining clubs and organizations, but inside 13 artists were on a deadline to create works of art.

Each artist was given ample amount of floor and wall space to set up their equipment. This year’s theme focused on loss, but there were no other main restrictions for students. Working from the theme, the participants were able to imagine and create projects that suited their interests and that skills as artists. As a result there was a room full of completely unique projects.

PHOTO BY RACHEL WANG/THE CAMPUS This year’s theme focused on loss.Artist Steve Prince, back left, explain his drawing of to students in Allegheny College Art Gallery, during 8 Hour Projects on Saturday Aug. 30, 2014.
PHOTO BY RACHEL WANG/THE CAMPUS
This year’s theme focused on loss.Artist Steve Prince, back left, explain his drawing of to students in Allegheny College Art Gallery, during 8 Hour Projects on Saturday Aug. 30, 2014.
RACHEL WANG/ THE CAMPUS Darren Lee Miller, artist and assistant professor of Art, presents his photography to students in Allegheny College Bowman Penelec Megahan Art Galleries during 8 Hour Project on Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014.
RACHEL WANG/ THE CAMPUS
Darren Lee Miller, artist and assistant professor of Art, presents his photography to students in Allegheny College Bowman Penelec Megahan Art Galleries during 8 Hour Project on Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014.

It was professor Steve Prince’s first time participating in the 8 Hour Projects. “Creating in the context of other artists coupled with the constant flow of students, faculty and community folk, was invigorating” said Prince.  “I endeavored to create a work that expressed the stated theme of “Loss”, and one that challenged the viewers to ponder their agency in perpetuating damaging systems that cause us to not work harmoniously in society.  Symbolically, my work “Acts of Mann” represents a perpetual battle for racial equality that is being waged in society, where there are no winners when we do not deal with the root of our problems.”