Downing/Havens and Shears/Forgie advance to ASG general election

The primary elections for the Allegheny Student Government (ASG) closed at 4 p.m. on Feb. 11. The ticket of Shane Downing, ’11, and Jamie Havens, ’11, will face off against the team of Corey Shears, ’12, and Kami Forgie, ’12, in the general election next week.

A release put forth by ASG said: “Today at 4:00 p.m. the polls for the Allegheny Student Government Executive Board Primary Election closed. Voted was conducted electronically through WebAdvisor. The process was monitored by the Director of Student Voting and confirmed by the Student Voting Committee.”

The release then listed the two winning tickets.

Stephanie Albert, ’10, is the Director of Student Voting.

“We had 516 votes in total,” Albert said. “That’s about a quarter of the campus which is very good for a primary election. We hope to have even more people for the general election.”

A debate will take place in the Henderson Campus Center lobby on Tuesday at 8:30 p.m.

This year, there is a catch to the debate.

Downing, a candidate for president, is studying abroad in Australia. While the debate will start on Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. EST, it will be 15 hours ahead, or 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday in Australia.

ASG President Brett Fuchs believes that they will attempt to have Downing take part in the debate via Skype.

The exact numbers of the primary were not released.

“We don’t like to release the numbers from the primary election,” Albert said. “We don’t want to discourage students from voting in the general elections thinking that one ticket is a shoe-in.”

The general election will take place on WebAdvisor on Feb. 17 and 18. Those exact results will be released.

For candidate bios, go to the ASG Web site by clicking here.

Check AlleghenyCampus.com for more news about the ASG election in the next few days.