Sub Wars In Meadville: The Pennsylvania Sandwich Company VS The Whole Darn Thing

By COLLEEN PEGHER

Editor in Chief

The Whole Darn Thing is no longer the only sub shop in town. In my opinion, it is no longer the best in town, either. The Pennsylvania Sandwich Company, located at 342 North Street, across the street from the Country Fair, offers good prices, friendly service and great food.

Upon entering the small shop, we were greeted with a friendly smile from the owner, who proudly endorsed special subs such as “The Golden Gator”, a sub with turkey, bacon, melted pepper jack, cole slaw and Thousand Island dressing. The shop has named their subs after a variety of local business, such as “The Marquette SB”, named after Marquette Saving Bank, and the “Lang Motors” subs.

If you’re feeling wild, they offer “The Splash”, featuring peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, Nutella and M&Ms.

Customers walk in and can fill out a dry erase order form. When completed, you drop the form into a basket and an employee from the shop will make your sub within eyesight.

Other interesting toppings on the menu include pierogies and kielbasa, a favorite for any Pittsburgher. In total, the shop offers 26 of special subs, which they refer to as “The Fab’s”.

The Sandwich Company offers outstanding prices, with a whole sub ringing in at $6.50 and a half costing $3.75. They also offer delivery for a two dollar fee, as well as grab-and-go breakfast sandwiches.

If you are looking for a sit down atmosphere, this would not be your best choice. The shop is relatively small, but for what it lacks in size, it makes up for in character.

I can’t remember the last time the owner of a business was present, let alone had taken the time to ask me for my name, where I was from and what I was studying. Having eaten here several times, I can say that I have received the same friendly welcome each time, a rare treat for a city girl like myself.

Overall, I would give the Pennsylvania Sandwich Company 4.5 out of 5 stars, the deduction a result of the lack of seating within the restaurant.

I highly recommend stopping by, it’s a great place for college students on-the-go with lots to do and little to spend.

By ALEXANDRIA HOLMES

Junior Features Editor

The Whole Darn Thing sub shop, located on Market Street in downtown Meadville, is a great restaurant for customers of all ages looking for a place with good food at a good price.

The Whole Darn Thing is a family owned place, owned by Mark and Christine Jordan. The restaurant was devastated by a fire in February 2011, but reopened the current shop in November 2011.

The little shop is a casual, family restaurant where you can pick exactly what you want to have, how you want it. And with prices between $4 and $10, it doesn’t drain your wallet either. In addition to their inexpensive sub prices, with a student I.D. you get a free drink. Whole Darn Thing is perfect for students looking for a quick, inexpensive dinner off campus. Being just half a mile from Allegheny campus, students can get to The Whole Darn Thing easily by walking or driving.

Upon walking into the restaurant, I was overcome by the smell of fresh bread and the other subs being made. The wonderful smells make the restaurant even more enjoyable to be in. The atmosphere of Whole Darn Thing is relaxed and comfortable, making it a place my friends and I like to go to hang out and have a good meal.

Beyond the overall mood of the restaurant, the employees and other customers are really nice as well. The employees are patient when you haven’t decided what you want and are ready to answer any questions you may have for them. Other customers enjoying their food are happy and say hi to you, even when they don’t know you.

The first time I went, as one of my friends and I sat there eating our dinner, a family with three little kids came in. The kids were chatting about everything in the restaurant and the town, and then came to talk to us. Talking to this family and the little kids is something that we don’t get on campus very often, and something that we all need.

Being around people of different ages, and people of the community, was something different. As college students, we get used to only seeing people of the same age as us everywhere we go (excluding our professors). Little kids and families can bring us back to reality and help us think of the other people around the college.

When I visited the restaurant, I tried the Italian sub. Which was delicious. On campus, we get used to the generally bland tasting food. This sub from Whole Darn Thing had a lot of flavor and was a nice change from the daily options. Other popular options among my friends are the meatball sub and the grilled chicken sub. Both of which are specials at Whole Darn Thing.

Though I have favorites already, The Whole Darn Thing features an option of thirty very different subs, so you are sure to find one you like. Whole Darn Thing has become a regular place for my friends and I, and somewhere we know we can have a good lunch or dinner and see other people from the Meadville community.

I would give The Whole Darn Thing 4 out of 5 stars.

A worker at The Pennsylvania Sandwich Company checks an order before preparing a sub on Feb. 6, 2014. CAITIE MCMEKIN/THE CAMPUS
Macy Hornstein of Meadville laughs while eating her dinner from The Whole Darn Thing on Feb. 6, 2014. CAITIE MCMEKIN/THE CAMPUS
The Whole Darn Thing offers 28 menu items and two specials every day.  Each sub has a distinctive taste at a low cost. CAITIE MCMEKIN/THE CAMPUS
The Whole Darn Thing offers 28 menu items and two specials every day. Each sub has a distinctive taste at a low cost. CAITIE MCMEKIN/THE CAMPUS