Allegheny voters speak

By ALEX NEIMAN-ZYCH

Contributing Writer

Taisha Thomas, ’13, celebrates as President Barack Obama wins a second term. Students gathered in the Campus Center for an Election Day party put on by the Center for Political Participation. CAITIE MCMEKIN/THE CAMPUS

Nov. 6, 2012 was an important day for the nation and for many of the Allegheny students.
For most of the members of the student body, this was the first presidential election that they were eligible to participate in.
“Voting was easier than I thought,” said Melanie Perez, ’15. “I will be voting every election till the day I die.”
Zach Cramer, ’15, participated as both a voter and as a supporter of Obama’s campaign during the days preceding the election, said he was enthusiastic, but exhausted.
“Despite how tired I was going into the polls, it was definitely worth it,” he said. Cramer congratulated everyone who voted, regardless of political stance.
“The reason why we have politics in America is to allow people to disagree,” he said.
However, for some students

voting was difficult.
Rachel McCarthy, ’13, faced a great deal of trouble getting her absentee ballot in on time.
“I didn’t receive my absentee ballot in the mail and I was prepared to drive to New Hampshire to get my vote if I needed to,” McCarthy said. “I ended up receiving my absentee ballot the day before the election. I wound up paying about $20 to send it express so that it would be received on time. I even called a voter hotline to scare my town so my vote could be counted.”
Several students commented on the long wait at the First Christian Church, where many students voted.
“I spent an hour and fifteen minutes waiting in the cold,” said Brian Rocks, ’13.
Zach Bauer, ’15, agreed that much could be improved about the long lines at polling places.
“I was not expecting to wait for two hours,” he said.