Wide range of theatre productions to happen this semester

By KATIE MCHUGH

Allegheny theatre students are going full throttle this semester.

Playshop Theatre will show an Oscar Wilde play, The Importance of Being Earnest, directed by Dan Crozier and stage managed by Kevin van Develde, from March 1 to March 4. The main characters include Colleen McCaughey, Lee Scandinaro, Dylan Boucher and Gwyn Agnew.

“I was really happy to be cast in this role because I never got to use a British accent onstage before,” said Colleen McCaughey, ’13, who will portray Cecily Cardew. “The whole cast is working really hard to make sure we’re working on the perceived pronunciation guide very closely and we’re working one on one with the director to make sure we’re pronouncing everything correctly.”

Another play, “Museum,” a recent play written by Tina Howe and directed by Beth Watkins, will run from April 19 through 22. Auditions will be held in late February. A huge cast of characters will walk in and out of an art gallery in the course of a single day, interact with one another and interpret the works of art.

Student Experimental Theatre, or SET, will hold four shows throughout the semester, including Flu Season, written by Will Eno and directed Michael Young from March 9 to 10, “Adaption of the Country Wife” written by Luke Wronski from April 6 to 7, a “Devised Piece” directed by Katie Beck and Blair Hartman from April 27 to 28 and “Cabaret Night” directed by Caitlyn Fuoco and Colleen McCaughey from May 1 to 2.

Caitlyn Fuoco, ’13, helped run the a capella cabaret show last semester and looks forward to performing classical and contemporary musical theatre during study days after classes have ended.

“We think it is so important to have a space for musical theatre at Allegheny and it is an aspect of the main Playshop theatre that does not often get utilized,” Fuoco said in an e-mail.

Fuoco will hold auditions from February 13 to 14 and ask interested students to sing 16 musical bars or 30 seconds of a song.

Between the Playshop Theatre and the SET productions, this semester will be full of opportunities to go to the theater.

Allegheny Theatre Productions: Spring 2012
“The Importance of Being Earnest”
written by Oscar Wilde
directed by Dan Crozier
March 1-4

“Flu Season”
written by Will Eno
directed by Michael Young
March 9-10

Adaptation of “The Country Wife”
original written by William Wycherley
written by Luke Wronskl
April 6-7

“Museum”
written by Tina Howe
directed by Beth Watkins
April 19-22

“Devised Piece”
directed by Katie Beck and Blair Hartman
April 27028

“Cabaret Night”
directed and produced by Caitlyn Fuoco and Colleen McCaughey
May 1-2