$50
$500

• C

Craig HayesNov 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

This will be an ever increasing problem– especially if Allegheny buys up more property/houses around the college. Also, I have the suspicion that the city is dragging its feet on road repair as a bargaining chip. If any of you have driven down the complete stretch of Highland, you’ll know what I mean.

Reply
    • S

Steven JonesNov 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Allegheny will have to buy up more properties in the next 5 years if they want to make their goals of total on-campus living a reality. While the common areas were not always utilized, they essentially took away the right for students to cook in many dorms by transforming them into triples or quads (noting Schultz especially in this case).

As for Highland, I totally do, but even E. Cullum street has some warped sections which are tons of fun to ride your car or bike over

Reply
  • AnonymousNov 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I wouldn’t necessarily oppose an increase in the annual gift; it’s clearly in our interest to make sure that Meadville can maintain its roads, police force, and other services. I wonder, though, if the city’s other tax exempt organizations – like churches, etc. – actually make similar gifts? Are they meeting the goal that they should give 30% of what they would pay if they were taxable? If not, will the mayor also be meeting with them to discuss increased giving? Or is it only the College’s gift that “falls short” due to budget cuts? That context could be useful in assessing the situation.

Reply
Activate Search
Allegheny’s gift to Meadville falls short