$50
$500

• S

SteveApr 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

One of the colleges near my home in Illinois has a small Chick-fil-a station in its equivalent of McKinley’s. I know that the chain is not without controversy, but who doesn’t love Chick-fil-a nuggets?

• J

James Hepplewhite '09Apr 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm

As a GFC alum, this proposal for a Starbucks on campus seems unnecessary and wrongheaded. One hopes, from afar, that the student body chooses something else to fill the space.

• K

KritikaApr 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

STARSUCKS more like it!! Better options for free space in CC lobby: THRIFT STORE- so many people have been talking about this, it would be an opportunity for students to utilize a space for exchanging clothes, furniture, books etc they don’t want or dont know how to get rid of at the end of school year! Late night food- C’mon after 12, its only Vochellis and vending machines. A space where the dictatorial regime of the CC ‘no taping policy’ does not hold=safe place to advertise for u n me. Oh also, how about selling produce from Allegheny’s On campus farms and Edible Allegheny project? Anything but bland (just as their coffee) pointless corporate outlets! WHO wants that when we have GFC!!!

• S

StephApr 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I don’t understand the logic of using the window as a drop-off site for a community-supported agriculture project. Couldn’t any space be used for that? Why not find another space for the CSA drop-off — and then use this space to offer prepared food or drink, whether it’s Starbucks or Freshens or something else? I’m all in favor of a CSA drop-off — it just seems like a waste of that particular space.

• S

SteveApr 15, 2011 at 9:26 am

Opening up this aspect of McKinley’s would probably be great for students who live at the fraternities or off campus housing that may be closer to MKs than Brooks.

Providing quick order sandwiches, fresh smoothies, and other quick, but decent meals out of here would be great. Possibly also sell local products like bread and other items for students who want to buy local for their home kitchens.

While I love the idea of Starbucks being there ( I mean, really love it. I bring bags with me to make it each semester), I feel like we already have a fairly strong competition between GFC and MKs for their coffee prices and their variety.

GFC has cornered the market for high end coffee products. It also houses the more, for a lack of better description, ‘artsy’ aspect to our CC (hosts bands and social events, specialty and custom drinks, the student made and highlighted artwork, etc.). But maybe the higher end students would be the main buyers of a Starbucks outlet.

I admit I would probably go there a few times just because I have a card with them (hoping they would accept it) and gauge the quality of an outlet vs. a full store, but when I wanna nice place to study in the CC, I go the GFC and get a big cup a’ Joe.

Activate Search
College considers new dining option