$50
$500

• T

Toni HoustonFeb 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Glad to see the steps Allegheny is taking. We have both solar thermal and an 8 kw solar electric panel on our home. Last year, we produced 75% of our households’s electricity with it. Our church receently installed a 32 kw system, based in part on the success we were having. Our dependence upon oil, both foreign and domestic, would be greatly reduced if more people incorporated solar into homes and businesses. And it doesn’t have to be in the sunny SW, as many aassume. We are doing this in New York, with just the panels flush mounted on one side of the garage roof.

Reply
  • D

Dan LearyJan 12, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Carlyn we’ll all be working for you someday! Great job on this project and for all your academic and professional success. All the best in your adventures and travels to come! -Your friends at Nexamp

Reply
  • C

Carlyn JohnsonJan 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Thanks so much to all of you for the encouragement. Allegheny has taken significant steps towards sustainability, such as the recent switch to 100% wind energy for our electricity usage, and I sense a growing culture of “green” at Allegheny among students, faculty, and administrators alike. I hope that my solar array and corresponding curriculum can help this culture grow even more!

Reply
  • S

Sherif AhmedJan 5, 2011 at 5:59 am

Keep it up Carlyn! Congrats for the new project and the new change you have brought to Allegheny! Best of luck with your project and comp and happy new year to you full success and happiness! Regards from Egypt!

Reply
  • M

Marge Cull class if 1960Jan 3, 2011 at 11:59 am

I am so proud of Allegheny and it’s committement to “greening the campus.” I work for a public school cafeteria and is really distresses me to see how much stuff is just “trashed” instead of being sorted and recycled. I remember the dining facilities at Allegheny and wish there was a system like that where I work–it would make a huge difference and the students would become more aware of how much can be done. Good work, Carlyn–you make me proud to be a graduate of Allegheny.

Reply
  • K

Kris HughesDec 30, 2010 at 11:08 am

As one of the organizers of Allegheny’s Solar Fair (Sun Day) in 1976, it is delightful to see the College and Carlyn Johnson jumping into the use of solar energy. I conducted my comp by assessing strategies for reducing energy consumption in academic buildings at Allegheny through the winter of 1977/78 (the year of the lowest recorded barometric pressure reading in history and the largest drop in temp in one day). While this unique weather event skewed my empirical results, one thing was clear- simply placing buildings on timed thermostats saved enormous energy. I went on to become an environmental planner and still serve as a Planning Director in Ontario County NY. Some of our recent projects have included solar installations, energy conservation projects (lighting, boilers, windows), and creative use of landfill gases and potential future use of MSW conversion to fuel. What if we could divert all current waste to a fuel source and ultimately mine all our current landfills for energy? I’d be very interested in engaging students on these and other topics. Just send me an email.

Reply
  • J

John H. NewmanDec 30, 2010 at 8:50 am

Way to go Carlyn! The senior comp project was very important in my professional development. It opened many doors after graduation and I hope does the same for you. It is wonderful to see this kind of innovation and business partnership taking place on campus. Happy Trails!

Reply
  • A

Ann H. Kazarian, MD '54Dec 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m so proud of Allegheny! I’ve just alerted my son, a Ph D in Philosophy from Villanova who went to Trinity, Hartford, and a good friend who is a professor there at Trinity. Needless to say, I hope my daughter sees this directly on Gator Locator

Reply
Activate Search
Carr Hall receives solar panels for student comp