Students Mangia La Pasta for a Cause

By MARY OLSON ([email protected])

On Sunday, Nov. 8  Kappa Alpha Theta will be hosting their first ever Pasta for CASA, an all-you-can-eat dinner. All of the proceeds will go directly to the local Court–Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) chapter in Meadville.

The dinner is in Schultz Dining Hall from 4 to 7 p.m. and includes spaghetti, tomato sauce, salad, bread and desserts. The tickets, which cost $5, can be purchased from a Theta sister or at the door. Three meatballs can be added to the dinner for an additional $1.

Kappa Alpha Theta’s national philanthropy, CASA is a non-profit program in which volunteers are appointed by a judge to watch over and speak up for abused and neglected children.

In an overburdened social welfare system, abused and neglected children often slip through the cracks. CASA volunteers work to change that. They stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home.

“Each year, approximately 780,000 children in the U.S. are caught up in the court and child welfare maze because they are unable to live safely at home,” according to www.nationalcasa.org.

The CASA program consists of 930 local programs in 46 states, including one in Meadville. According to the program’s website, last year more than 68,000 CASA volunteers served more than 240,000 abused and neglected children through 1,018 program offices.

CASA volunteers have helped more than two million abused children since the first program was established in 1977.

“Children who have been assigned to CASA tend to spend less time in court and less time in foster care than those who do not have CASA representatives. CASA–advocated children have better chances for finding permanent homes,” explained Meg Atkinson, ’10, Vice President of public relations for Kappa Alpha Theta.

“The sisters are really excited for the event and to be able to raise money for our national philanthropy. We are going to be having a raffle, music, good food, and hopefully a great turnout from both the Allegheny and Meadville communities,” Atkinson said.

Brittney Pagone, ’10, President of Kappa Alpha Theta, is also eager for this event which will raise money for a cause very close to her heart.

“The sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta would genuinely appreciate your attendance at their Pasta for CASA event,” Pagone said .

Kappa Alpha Theta is one of the many partners that have helped CASA to increase awareness, raise money and be the voice of children. Some other well-known partners include Walmart Foundation, Dr. Phil Foundation and CBS Television.

Attending Pasta for CASA on November 8 is a good way to play a small role in a great cause. For more information on CASA or to become a volunteer, it www.casaforchildren.org.