The Political Herd- Republican Columnist

On Tuesday, November 2 many things will be instantly determined.  For once, academia and media news outlets will not have any influence.  This is the day where citizens’ opinions truly matter: Election Day.

flickR account: Theresa Thompson

Slander, endorsements, and debates are only a few terms that you hear often during election season.  When such terms get thrown around, it is evident that elections are imminent.  This intensity and sometimes brutality can deter some constituents from partaking in the political process.

According to the Voice of America, a broadcasting service funded by the US government, a “volatile political climate” is highly expected for the upcoming 2010 Midterm Elections where both parties will strive for their maximum representation in Congress. However, it is essential that every person who wants their opinion represented advocates for and supports a candidate of his or her choosing.  After all, your taxes will be utilized for local and national projects; it is important to make sure your time and labor are respected.

Needless to say, the 2010 Mid Term Elections will not be clean.  Political slander and incivility will run rampant throughout the next two months.  Democrats are desperately trying to cling to their current majorities in both houses of Congress. However, the Republicans central message is that Democrats have derailed national prosperity and morale.

Many voters across the nation will go along with this central message.  It is actually quite similar to the one Democrats used in the 2008 Elections in order to gain the foothold that they have taken for granted.  Ironically, however, the message that brought the left’s victory can also work against them in the Midterms.

Stakes in the midterms are high.  Several of the Obama Administration’s key reform policies are at stake if the Republicans gain a majority.  Healthcare, social security, financial regulatory systems, and waning foreign policy in light of the globalized world are merely a few pending issues.

In addition, according to the New York Times, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is channeling campaign funds to Democrats who are at risk of losing their seats.  Massive efforts are ongoing in both parties on every campaign. The Republican takeover would either put a stop to these reform policies or require extensive compromise from the Obama administration.  These pending policies are some of the most pressing issues for the direction of American politics.  Moreover, for the Democrats, they can make or break Obama’s presidency.

Frontrunners of both parties are seeking their target voter groups.  As the middle–ground group of independents continues to expand in spite of increased partisanship, party leaders are trying to direct some sort of intermediary message.  Many Republicans simply state they wish to “fix” Washington.  Aside from a few outlandish remarks by Senate Minority Leader John Boehner, the Republicans are central on their message.  Many issues have been exemplified since Obama’s inauguration, particularly related to economic policy.

Supporters argue that Obama inherited an out-of-control military spending allocation from Bush, along with a crippling stock market and economy.  While these things are true, the economic agenda that the administration pursued had grave flaws. The series of bailouts proposed and passed by Congress have had some effect, but they have predominately faltered in the turbulent situation.  The Democrats in Congress plowed through with massive bailouts despite strictly partisan votes.

Increasing awareness and stringency of fiscal responsibility was lacking throughout the entire “recovery” period.  With stimulus funds disappearing, faulty loans and high levels of personal debt are already reappearing.  This equation has problems that do not equal a successful economic recovery. According to the Associated Press, the GOP is gaining significant political ground solely because of the “sour economy.”  Based on deficit and unemployment levels alone, the outcome is grim.  However, the non–numeric portion of citizens’ confidence in the system is most terrifying.

With Election Day fast approaching, it is essential that every potential voter registers and every registered voter votes.  Citizen opinions are what ultimately control the political process in the United States.

Exercising your voting privilege is the main way to influence politics.  If any student would like to register to vote before the November election, please send me an email; it is crucial for a healthy democracy.

View Comments (1)