The Comedy Corner: Unions, Filibusters and TikTok

Starbucks workers at Pittsburgh’s Sixth Street location voted for a union on March 6, according to the Pittsburgh Union Progress.
In other news, Starbucks has announced that the Sixth Street location is unprofitable and are looking into closing the location.

New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez pleaded not guilty for a third time in an alleged bribery scheme on March 11, according to CNN.
“I think I have a good chance this time,” said Menendez. “Third time’s the charm.”

Arizona Senator Kyrsten Sinema has decided not to seek reelection.
“I’ve made my millions as a senator and angered people on both sides of the aisle,” Sinema said. “I look forward to making even more as a lobbyist and continuing to cause political headaches.”
The New York Times reported on March 13 that the filibuster’s future in the U.S. Senate may be coming to an end after the announcement that Sinema and West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin are not seeking re-election.
“I’ve gotten so many calls in the last few weeks asking how I was going to handle being unemployed,” said Phil I. Buster, a custodian for the Senate. “Frankly, I’m looking forward to retirement. Maybe I’ll pick up painting.”
Reuters reported on March 7 that the centrist group No Labels plans to move ahead with a U.S. presidential bid.
The group does not currently have a presidential or vice presidential candidate selected. This begs the question — why aren’t they called “No Candidates”?

A 62-year-old German man was found to have received 130 vaccinations against COVID-19 in a nine-month period, according to medical journal The Lancet.
Scientists at the Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg reached out to the man in order to study him and his case of hyper-vaccination.
They found that the man had never contracted COVID-19, though cautioned that his hyper-vaccination status may not have been the reason.
So far in the study the only conclusive side-effect found was excessive stinging arm pain.

The Buffalo News reported on March 9 that a man was arrested twice in the same day in Jamestown, New York.
The assailant was arrested at 10 a.m. and released, only to be detained again around 1:30 p.m.
“I have to hand it to the guy,” said one of the officers who arrested the man twice. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Hopefully there won’t be a third time.”

Kate Middleton issued an apology for releasing a photo of herself and her children that news agencies pulled after fears that image was “manipulated” according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Middleton apologized and told followers on X that she was experimenting with editing.
“She really should have made it clear that she had edited the photo,” said an employee of one of the agencies who released the photo. “It’s hard to tell when things are edited. Next thing you know, I’ll find out the picture of her jumping a shark on a Jet Ski is edited and I have to pull that too.”

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill on March 13 that could lead to the banning of popular video-sharing app TikTok.
“We can’t have such an intrusive app on millions of U.S. citizens’ phones,” said an anonymous representative. “Don’t people know that only U.S. companies can collect citizens’ data?”

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is set to announce his running mate at an event later this month, reported The Hill on March 13.
This has brought fear to a plethora of politicians across the country, all eagerly anticipating the announcement with the hopes they don’t hear their own name.

Reuters reported on March 15 that Uber and Lyft will cease operations in Minneapolis starting May 1, in the wake of a city council division that sets a minimum wage for drivers.
I would like to thank Uber and Lyft for confirming a suspicion I’ve had for some time, that if companies could afford to pay under minimum wage they would.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have successfully made a trade with the Chicago Bears for Quarterback Justin Fields.
On paper this is a great deal, though there is a worry that he won’t play in any of the stadiums in the NFL, he’ll instead play just in the fields. That leaves only seven venues where Fields will play.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has won another term — winning 87.8% of the vote according to Reuters on March 17.
The only thing more surprising than this result is finding out that every single Pope in history has been a Catholic.