This week in Allegheny history, as told by The Campus

March 18, 1919
– The Campus reports that all discharged members of the Students’ Army Training Corps could be entitled to a $60 ($1,135.34 in 2024 dollars) bonus from the government for their efforts during war times.
– As war demands die down, schools like The Library School of the New York Public Library call for students to train at their school and consider a career path in libraries.

March 22, 1951
– President Benezet announces increases to Tuition and Room Fees beginning in the fall. Tuition would be increased from $535 to $585 ($6,982.34 in 2024 dollars), and room fees would increase from $160 to $170 ($2,029.05 in 2024 dollars).
– A Letter To The Editor expressed disappointment at the Inter-Fraternity Council Song Fest that occurred the Friday prior. The letter called the event an “insult to student’s intelligence.”

March 20, 1959
– Staff members from The Campus attended the third annual spring meeting of the Penn-Ohio Collegiate Press Association to accept the award for Best Cartoon for the second year in a row.
– The Allegheny College wrestling team ended their season with a 9-1 record, with a 5-0 record in the President’s Athletic Conference.

March 17, 1961
– A heating coil caused a fire in South Hall, now known as Schultz Hall. Nothing was harmed, except for a few charred drapes and bedspreads.
– The name for the new modern language and fine arts building was approved to be named Murray Hall in recognition of the college’s association with William P. Murray.