Students hold vigil for Palestinian civilians killed in conflict

Students gather for a vigil for Palestine in the lobby of the Henderson Campus Center. The crowd peaked at about 30 attendees, with participants trickling in and out over the course of the event

About 30 people gathered for a vigil for Palestine in the Henderson Campus Center lobby on the afternoon of Thursday, Feb. 15, holding a moment of silence and beginning to write the names of young children killed in the current Israeli invasion of the Gaza Strip.
“We are here because we care, and I thank you for caring with me,” organizer Julia Sonen, ’24, told attendees.
The vigil was the latest in a series of student events aimed at raising awareness of Israel’s current invasion of Gaza. Israeli forces have killed more than 28,600 people since Oct. 7 — including around 2,600 since a Jan. 26 student demonstration on the Gator Quad, organizer Syd Hammerman, ’25, told attendees. Israel has defended its actions, which have been called a genocide by scholars and human rights advocates, as justified retaliation for an Oct. 7 attack by militant group Hamas that killed just over 1,100 Israelis. Hamas has ruled the Gaza Strip since 2007.
Hammerman also spoke of six-year-old Hind Rajab, who was killed by Israeli troops while traveling with her family. When Hind’s body was found earlier this week, Hammerman said, Hind’s mother received it with a pink bag filled with notebooks Hind had been using to practice her handwriting.
This hit home for Hammerman when they were writing a sentence for their Arabic homework.
“This sentence began with the name Hind,” Hammerman said. “My stomach knotted, and I had to put the assignment away for a bit. How was I supposed to move on from her, and from all of Gaza?”
After the speeches came a moment of silence, and then attendees were invited to write out a partial list of children killed in the invasion on a series of banners, divided by age. The names ran from ages zero to five because the average age of a child killed in Gaza is five years old, Hammerman said.
The vigil will continue for another two days, Hammerman said, from 1 to 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 16, and Saturday, Feb. 17.