Chandler’s corner three

Sports editor opines where the Cavaliers will land this NBA season

It is hard to believe that another season of professional basketball is just days away. But, as the NBA inches closer, the buzz throughout national media and fan bases continues to rise.
The preseason is already underway, and speculations have begun as to which teams will represent the cream of the crop and have a chance at the title. The Denver Nuggets are the favorites for many after their demolition of the Miami Heat in the finals last season. The Milwaukee Bucks, Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns are also right in contention. But, my dark horse — the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Call me a homer if you must, but there’s a lot to like with this young group. While there is no question that last year ended in an abysmal way — with the New York Knicks sending the Wine and Gold packing earlier than expected in the play-in round of the Eastern Conference Playoffs — a revitalized and more experienced Cavaliers unit could be dangerous.

What is there not to say about Donovan Mitchell? He was everything and more the Cavs wanted in a starting guard after picking him up from Utah in the offseason. The kid called “Spida” broke the franchise single-game scoring record, put up the best offensive numbers of his career and earned All-NBA Honors. He also earned his first start in the All-Star Game. If he can stay consistent, enough said.

Alongside Mitchell in showcasing the league’s best is Jarrett Allen. The seven-footer averaged over 14 points and just under 10 rebounds per game. After almost being snubbed, he was voted into the All-Star Game as a sub last season. Allen did not, however, perform well against the physical Knicks defense in the playoffs. It nicked his resume, and while everyone knows he has the potential to be the best in the league, Allen has to go out and prove it.

Who the backup center will be behind Allen still remains a question mark. For now, it is Damian Jones, who averages just 5.2 points and 3.4 rebounds per game in his career. While this is on limited minutes, it is hard to say how the 2016 first-round pick will fare in the upcoming season.

Tristan Thompson, a member of the 2016 Cleveland championship team who re-signed in the offseason, can also fill that role. The bench is going to be a pivotal factor in the Cavs’ success, and if these can add to the production it could prove monumental.

Another big man looking to build on his first two years in the league is Evan Mobley. A 2021 draft pick of the Cavaliers, Mobley came in and was a top rookie in his class. Last year, he built on his early success and demonstrated his ability to be a two-way player. The trend needs to keep moving upward for Mobley, but his blocking, rebounding and scoring abilities make him a real threat to be a top frontcourt player in the Association.

Then, there is Darius Garland — the reason why I started following the Cavaliers again after LeBron left. Garland upped his three-point shooting to 41% last year and averaged over 21 a game for the Cavs with almost eight assists. While his play looked a little different from the adjustments of having Mitchell, being double-teamed more and working through the team’s spacing issues on the court, it was still a solid year for the four-year starter. He made some brilliant shots, and if he can build on the chemistry with his scoring partner, it will be exciting to watch those two go to work once again.

After parting ways with Cedi Osman and Lamar Stevens, the roles of Max Strus and Georges Niang will be tested. Both additions are big hopes to provide more offense to the team and take the pressure off Mitchell and Garland — who were the only two consistent scorers a season ago.

While there are still pieces that need to fall in the right places, there is no question this could be one of the best years the franchise has ever seen. Led at the helm by JB Bickerstaff, everyone knows what is at stake, and the expectations that are being put on them.

The great thing for the Cavaliers is they are set up for not only the short term, but also the long term. Of the four mainstays from last year, the oldest is Mitchell at 27 years old. He and the rest of the crew are into or nearing their primes and set up on contracts to stay additional years.

You have to give credit where credit is due. Owner Dan Gilbert and President of Basketball Operations Kobey Altman, turned the franchise around with a short rebuild period after the King left, putting them right back into the contending role.

The opening night tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 25. They will immediately be tested, as they head to Brooklyn to skirmish with the Nets, another Eastern Conference playoff team from a season ago.