Inside “Monty”

The personal stories of historic Montgomery Gym, Allegheny’s dance hall
The upstairs dance studio is “better than therapy,” according to recent alumna Jenna Monteleone, ’23, and its windows offer “the best sunset view.”

The 127-year-old Montgomery Gymnasium is as beloved in the 21st century as it was in the 19th. Ongoing appreciation for Montgomery from both students and faculty is mainly due to its home-like feeling and imperative resource center for all things creatively motivated.
“I know that when I’m in there I’m about to create, learn, brainstorm, investigate, move and most importantly feel good about myself for the time I spend inside,” said Sara Margo ’26.
The gymnasium was originally built in 1896, and the first blueprint plan for the building looked like an 11th-century medieval castle. Even if that plan did not go into fruition, it had many other unique architectural elements and a plethora of uses that made the building so loved. Up until 1921 the building contained a balcony running track in the basketball area, before fire and safety regulations removed it, according to records of Montgomery kept at the Merrick Archives.
Many other activities occurred in this building for many years, including men’s varsity basketball games, physical education classes for women, entrance and final exams, a carnival, social dances, women faculty vs student basketball, pep rallies.
Due to growing enrollment in 1919, the gym was expanded and in 1920 it was remodeled.
“The student body was to raise the sum of ten thousand dollars while the balance of the expense was to be raised by President Crawford and the Trustees,” a letter written to the trustees of the college at the time read. The total remodeling amount was $100,000.
In 1954, the building was officially named after James Montgomery, and it became the first building to be named after a faculty member, rather than a president or donor. From there, the building was reserved for women’s sports in 1955.
Now in the 21st century, this building is as loved by the student body as it was for generations before.
“Montgomery holds a special place in my heart,” said alumna Jenna Monteleone, ’23. “The upper studio is better than therapy and has the best sunset view when you open the windows. It’s almost like a safe haven away from the business on the rest of campus.”
Dance classes in Montgomery are shaped around the student’s experience and ability. The building provides a sense of peace upon entering its doors, according to Margo.
“I know that when I walk in there, there is no judgment or feeling of the pressure my other classes put on me … I’m happiest when I’m in Monty,” Margo said. “I also admire (Instructor) Betsy (Getshman) so much for everything she does for anyone who walks through those doors.”
This building feels like coming home, according to Fabich. Students can talk to Instructor Amber Mosbacher for advice in yoga, can take self-defense classes to ensure self-protection, and is an overall impeccable resource center for the campus for anyone who wants to get involved in the arts.
“People know this building, a lot of people, they just don’t come inside,” said Beth Ma, ’26.
“That building has seen every side of me, and I’d like to think that it really knows me,” said Haley Fabich, ’24. “If walls could talk, these ones would be able to tell you about every single person who has ever entered through those front doors. Their struggles, triumphs, joys, sorrows, hopes, personal growth, and more.”
Montgomery and the dance program has shaped many student’s college experiences at Allegheny, both for those who have danced many years and for those who have never had any prior training. Montgomery welcomes anyone, according to Beth Ma, ’26.
“It would be a lot more different if I didn’t have this program,” Ma said. “The connections here are powerful.”