Ask Ida: Second-week shenanigans

Wi-Fi, heat, and math, oh my!

Dear Ida,
What should I do when my Wi-Fi goes out? It happens a lot and is really frustrating.
I’d love to tell you, but my Wi-Fi just went out!
All joking aside, Wi-Fi problems have been a serious issue on campus this semester with little to no end in sight. While we anxiously await better Wi-Fi, we unfortunately must try to adapt as best we can.
To start off, you should try to make sure all of your readings can be accessed offline. Whether that means downloading them or printing them, this will allow you to do your readings when Wi-Fi goes offline. Especially when you’re in class and Wi-Fi goes out, this is crucial! For assignments that must be completed online, try to write your response in a non-online program first. This could be Microsoft Word (which you can get free if you use your Allegheny email) or Google Docs offline.
Otherwise, the only other thing to do is submit a ticket to the Help Desk. While everyone is aware of the Wi-Fi issues on campus, having specific spots to pinpoint can be helpful.

Dear Ida,
I thought I was okay at math, but I don’t understand the entry-level class I’m taking very well. Got any tips?
I feel you with this. Math was not my strongest subject, and somehow Pre-Calculus made me feel even worse at math. Luckily, Allegheny has ways to help with this! There are plenty of tutors who may be able to help you, and Allegheny sometimes offers study sessions specifically designed for students to get help with math. Otherwise, do not hesitate to ask your professor for help! If all else fails, the internet has a wide variety of math tutorials.

Dear Ida,
My roommate has people over often, but she doesn’t always tell me and it’s kind of disruptive. What should I do?
First off, try to talk to your roommate about it. The two of you should have signed a roommate agreement when you first got here, and if that agreement doesn’t allow for this, it should be addressed. It may be an uncomfortable conversation, but it’s important to talk to your roommate first. She may not know that it’s an issue for you. If the issue persists after a conversation with her, please talk to your Resident Adviser about it! Finally, if worst comes to worst and you just cannot take it anymore, talk to your RA about getting a room change. There may be another place for you with a roommate that is more suited to your needs.

Dear Ida,
My room gets really hot, especially in the evening or at night. Any tips for staying cool?
First off, I’d recommend keeping your window open at all times. This will allow any cool air from outside to come in and let any hot air out. Secondly, be sure to have a fan or two! If you have a fan and your room still isn’t keeping cool, try freezing a water bottle to place behind it. It’ll create cooler air and, at minimum, will help you stay cool in the short term. Finally, try to keep your door slightly open if all else fails. Allegheny has recently added air-conditioning units into the lounges of many dorm halls, so that means that the hallways are going to be a lot cooler than your rooms. Remember, these buildings were designed to keep heat in, so your room will get hot fast! Keeping your door slightly open will help bring in some cooler air, but be sure to ONLY do it when you are awake, in the room, and if you feel comfortable doing so.

Dear Ida,
Should I join YikYak?
My complete and honest answer is no. YikYak has and will continue to cause harm on campuses. It has caused harm for the past few years; from causing a previous ASG presidential campaign to cease running due to rumors all the way to targeted harassment against students. There was even an incident last year where there was a perceived threat against the school, though it was later confirmed just to be a misinterpreted joke. Nevertheless, YikYak brings out the worst in people and that will never change. When you have an anonymous platform to post whatever you want, it is inevitable that it will be used to attack a person whether directly or indirectly. Sure, there are funny things on YikYak and it does have some uses for social interaction. At the end of the day, however, there is no need for YikYak as a platform to exist in the manner it does. Any ‘good’ that comes out of YikYak could be used via another social media platform.
If you have concerns about your mental health, self-esteem, body image, paranoia etc, I cannot recommend enough that you stay off of YikYak. Social media already caused enough problems without adding anonymity to it.