ASG holds JRB closed session, discusses finances

The Allegheny Student Government held its weekly general assembly on March 28 to continue judicial proceedings, discuss finance issues and approve a new club.
The final order of business for the GA was a 17-minute Judicial Review Board closed session on a breach of confidentiality by a member of the ASG Cabinet regarding a Feb. 15 closed session discussing a constitutional amendment. Listed in the minutes as the final action in closed session is a failed motion on the JRB’s decision.
“We voted on the punishment that was handed down on an individual, and Senate decided that it wasn’t right, so the motion failed for that specific punishment,” ASG Vice President Rudra Schultz-Ray, ’23, said in an interview after the GA. “How the process works now is that, now the JRB committee goes through and they present a new punishment, or a new solution to the issue.”
Schultz-Ray added that the JRB is almost finished with their work.
“They’ve already gone through the whole investigative process, so they’re just coming up with a different thing to follow up with,” he said. “I would say maybe one to two weeks is the timeline for coming up with a new suggestion for ASG to vote on.”
Tuesday’s session comes more than a month after ASG President Veronica Green, ’23, first brought up the possibility of disciplinary action for alleged violations of the Feb. 15 closed session.
“It’s been brought to my attention that some people in this room did not maintain their responsibility of holding their seat in this room, and did not honor their confidentiality agreement, and did not honor the fact that people’s personal experience is not theirs to talk about,” Green said during the Feb. 21 closed session. “This room is about to get a lot more empty in the coming weeks, and I just want to say that I am disappointed in those individuals,”
The JRB is ASG’s judicial branch, and according to the ASG Constitution, “will consist of three representatives appointed by the Attorney General and made public to the student body, with ample time devoted to student input, before being approved by a supermajority of the Senate for two weeks.”
Members of ASG are not allowed to serve on the JRB.
“If we were in charge (of) investigating ourselves and punishing ourselves, I doubt that anything would actually come from it, and it’s a way of mostly protecting how we are viewed as an institution and among the student body,” he said.
The current members of the JRB are Anna Corso, ’23, Zoë McKen, ’25, and Zane Devlin, ’26. ASG declined to release the name of the defendant to protect their privacy.

The meeting began with Director of the Treasury Adriana Solis, ’23, discussing a new system for fostering financial literacy for new and existing clubs.
“As a way to sort of bypass some of the questions, problems that we see with budget applications, I am gonna have a new requirement for all clubs where — before they can apply for a budget — they have to attend what I’m calling a financial literacy class,” Solis explained.
The course will include an introduction to financial guidelines, an opportunity to ask questions and a packet detailing the request process as well as “acceptable” expenses. The packet would also include a constitution template for clubs to update their individual constitutions if needed.
Solis then covered this week’s budget, with ASG using $1,327.50 from the general fund and $1,009.44 from the surplus fund. The requests were approved unanimously.
Not every budget request proved to be simple, though. Green addressed the state of the ASG-sponsored food bank and the remainder of funds for the bank.
“I filled the food bank last night, and it’s already half-empty,” Green said. “We probably only have about $100 left to fill it for the rest of the semester.”
Co-Director of Student Affairs Cam Lesher, ’24, then questioned if money could be transferred from the student action fund to the food pantry fund.
“We currently have a negative balance in the student action fund,” Solis added.
Green then explained that she as president could not make a motion to move those funds, but asked aloud that someone do. Class of 2026 President Sam Ault made a motion to transfer $284 from the general fund to the student action fund, which would offset the negative balance. The motion passed.
Solis added that more than just the student action fund had a negative balance. She said that Financial Services is three to four weeks behind on processing club requests, so clubs may think that they have funds in their budget, but actually are pulling from a balance that is not there.
While most of the cases were only a few dollars in the red, others showed negative balances in the hundreds or thousands.
When Class of 2025 Vice President Joe Leszczynski asked about the repercussions for a club that shows a negative balance, Solis explained that clubs have no responsibility in that case, and that it is up to ASG to move the appropriate funds.
“So the club actually doesn’t have to do anything,” Solis said. “It would have to be ASG, so I would have to get permission from Senate to make small transfers from the general fund to each club account.”
In further finance discussions, the senate of the class of 2023 requested that $8,000 be moved from the surplus fund to the senior week fund.
“Usually, the senior week fund is between $14k and $18k, and this would put it at $12k,” said Class of 2023 President Shira Haus.
The motion passed before Class of 2025 President Nicole Recio Bremer motioned to ask a question concerning the transfer of funds.
“How many students do you plan on having?” Recio Bremer asked, in reference to the class of 2023 selling tickets to seniors.
“We sent out a poll to all the seniors that are participating in commencement, and about 200-ish we’re planning for most of our events,” Haus responded. “So we estimated about $5,000 are being raised from ticket sales.”
In other business, Director of Diversity and Inclusion Jaelyn Valentin, ’25, announced that the CILC constitution draft will be finalized by April 9.
Green followed up with updates on recent and upcoming student events. The sweatshirt giveaway on March 24 in collaboration with Meadville Public Library was a “success.” Green then asked ASG members to consider signing up for the final Service Saturday event of the semester, taking place on April 1.
“It would be really nice to see ASG come together and sign up,” Green said.
Recio Bremer then addressed ASG as the president-elect and reminded underclassmen that cabinet position applications are open, due on April 7 at noon.
During unfinished business, Danielle Gibson, ’26, presented her case for the reinstitution of the Allegheny Veteran Service Club. AVS had already passed its first round of voting at the previous GA.
“We engage in various volunteering activities to ensure the emotional, and mental and sometimes physical wellbeing of the people who serve our country,” Gibson said.
The club passed by a unanimous vote, making AVS an ASG-recognized club.