Kappa crafts valentines for fundraiser

The Gamma Rho chapter of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority hosted a Cupid Cards and Kappa Kisses sale as a fundraiser for a national mental-health organization in the lobby of the Henderson Campus Center from Monday, Feb. 6, to Friday, Feb. 10.

“A group of girls looked up little Valentine’s Day cards, and they all have cute pictures on the front of them,” Ella Lengauer, ’23, said. “They’re also attached to a little bag with hearts and kisses. They can be sold to any student that walks into the Campus Center. It’s basically a way for us to raise money for our philanthropy as well as join in on the holiday spirit for Valentine’s Day.”

Not only could students purchase the valentines on their own, but KKG could also deliver the valentines to the desired receiver, according to Isabella Seng-Ma, ’25. All of the deliveries took place Friday, Feb. 10, after the last of the sales had taken place.

This is not the first place KKG has held an event like this, Seng-Ma explained.

“We did (Kappa Kisses) in the past, about four or five years ago, and I wanted to bring it back,” Seng-Ma said. “It was right after our bid day, so I wanted to get the new members involved in something. And it’s a great way to spread some awareness about mental health and spread some love around Valentine’s Day.”

All the proceeds of the event go directly to The Jed Foundation, an organization which provides mental health services and suicide prevention for young adults and teenagers. It was “named in honor of a young man who lost his battle with mental health,” according to Vice President of Membership Kalliyan Greevy, ’25.

“It’s just completely of our own volition to hold fundraisers like this, which is something I think is really special about Kappa,” Greevy said.

By last Friday, Feb. 10, KKG had raised over $200 for Jed from the event, according to Langauer. But the sorority does a lot more fundraisers for Jed throughout the semester, not just Kappa Kisses, according to Seng-Ma.

“We ask local businesses around here if they want to donate mac and cheese and we’ll sell some of that,” Seng-Ma said.

“There’s also a philanthropy t-shirt sale going on right now, and all of these proceeds also go to The Jed Foundation.”

KKG is involved in community service and fundraisers that focus on the Allegheny student community, too. Beside events like Kappa Kisses or the upcoming mac and cheese event, the sisters sell succulents for new students stumped for dorm decorations aat the beginning of each semester.

“We do a lot of different things throughout the year,” Greevy said. “We also participate in school-sponsored events, so on Service Saturday, we’ll be sending a group to participate. We were also active in Make a Difference Day.”

KKG is also involved with Meadville Animal Rescue and Meadville Coalition as well, according to Seng-Ma.

The sisters believe community service is a way to spend time with friends and also help the community and raise money, according to Greevy.

“Events like (Kappa Kisses) are good ways for us to just hang out sometimes,” said Greevy. “We have a spreadsheet where sisters can sign up, like for Kappa Kisses, but we’ll just stop by and congregate and chat. It’s just fun to raise money with our best friends.”