ASG discusses initiatives, presidential elections

Allegheny Student Government’s second meeting of module two brought about new clubs and updates on initiatives, including the upcoming Green Box Week.

With no guest speakers, ASG’s general assembly commenced with cabinet reports at 7:35 p.m. Tuesday, Mar. 3, via Zoom.

Chief of Staff Emma Godel, ’21 started off her report by providing an update of her new mental health awareness initiative, “Strive to Thrive.” 

“I met with Casey Cole, who is the advisor for the Gator Activities Programming and Fraternity and Sorority Life” Godel said. “We had a pretty positive meeting about the mental health initiative I’m putting together.” 

Godel then moved on to an update regarding the upcoming ASG presidential election debate, scheduled for Mar. 9. 

A Google form on ASG’s Instagram page will act as the student body’s platform to ask questions of the presidential candidates. Anonymity will be assumed in asking questions unless stated otherwise.

“Please don’t open it (the questions Google form) on your phone, it can shut you out,” Godel said. “Do it on your computer.”.

Attorney General Jack Parker, ’22, began his report by stating that the technology check for the upcoming presidential debate will tentatively be run this weekend. 

“(Provost and Dean of the College) Ron Cole …  is locked in as the moderator for the debate and he’s looking forward to that very much,” Parker said.

Parker then introduced the co-president of the All Gender Equity Society, Marshall Ramos, ’24. 

“AGES is a place where trans students and non-binary students can come togeether and have that sense of community that we’re all looking for,” Ramos said.

President of the Class of 2024 Kristin Cadham raised the motion to approve AGES’ constitution and was seconded by Senator Emily Mullen, ’24. The motion passed unanimously. 

Following Parker, Director of Communications and Press Bree Gray, ’23, commenced her report by stating that the AGS bi-weekly newsletter is now out and in circulation. 

“I met with (College Relations Marketing Content Specialist) Emma Highland to work on how to increase participation within ASG for our newsletter, so we’re going to be working on ways we can revamp our newsletter so it’s more public and open to a lot of different students as well as administrators and faculty,” Gray said.

Gray then reinforced her initiatives for quarantined students by announcing ASG’s potential collaboration with Allegheny College Health Agency. 

“Director of Finance Noah Tart (’22) and I met with Dr. Gabrielle Morrow of the ACHA to go over some of the things we’d like to see for our quarantined students.”

Tart followed with a financial request from the speaker budget of $1,000 for a speaker for Black Girl Magic. 

Vice President of the Class of 2023 Lucas Biniewski raised the motion to approve the financial request and was seconded by Senator Tyler Znaczko, ’24. The motion passed unanimously.

Tart then presented a financial report in which he stated that only 6.31% of the ASG general budget has been spent for the academic year. Tart predicted that a considerable surplus fund will be added to the ASG budget for the following academic year. 

“I’m hoping to end this year with a nice sizable surplus total for the year,” Tart said. “COVID has kind of put a wrench in the works for social events but any money that ASG does not spend is added to the surplus budget for next year so (ASG) will have more to work with.”

Co-Directors of Student Affairs Gena Pena, ’22, and Crystal Hernandez, ’23, followed by presenting their initiative to introduce free feminine sanitary products on campus. They also mentioned that they had been in conversation with eight other colleges and universities that currently offer free feminine sanitary products.

Director of Sustainability and Environmental Affairs Willy Walker, ’22, commenced his report by announcing next week as the tentative date for the beginning of  “Green Box Week.”

Green Box Week, also known as Green Box Revival Week, involves the practice of using green boxes during mealtimes in order to eat without creating additional compost waste. 

Official ASG members, according to Walker, will be tabling in Brooks Dining Hall to inform and encourage students about the initiative.

The Allegheny College Billiards Club was then introduced to the GA.

Biniewski raised the motion to approve the Billiards Club and was seconded by Senator Kyrie Doniz, ’23. The motion passed unanimously and the Billiards Club’s constitution was approved.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:11 p.m.

“Director of Finance Noah Tart, ’22, and I met with Dr. Gabrielle Morrow of the ACHA to go over some of the things we’d like to see for our quarantined students.”

Vice President of the Class of 2023 Lucas Biniewski raised the motion to approve the financial request and was seconded by Senator Tyler Znaczko, ’24. The motion passed unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:11 p.m.