Former students arrested for allegedly trespassing Arter Hall

A former Allegheny student who was arrested for allegedly trespassing on campus is also facing drug charges. The student’s preliminary hearing in the drug case was scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 19, and has been moved to Monday, Sept. 23.

The former student facing drug charges, Sophie Foreman, ’22, and another former student Jessica Garcia, ’20, were arrested on Sept. 12 after being found at Arter Hall. Prior to their arrests, they were told by college officials that they were no longer permitted on college property.

Garcia and Foreman received letters from Dean of Students April Thompson on Saturday, Aug. 31, asking them to leave college property. Thompson’s request followed the arrest of Foreman by Meadville city police on Aug. 31.

On Aug. 31, Foreman was charged with one ungraded felony count of manufacture with intent to deliver a controlled substance, four ungraded misdemeanor accounts of possession of a controlled substance, one ungraded misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia and summary counts of public drunkenness and disorderly conduct. 

Foreman faces over 20 years in jail and $273,300 in fines if convicted of all charges, according to the Meadville Tribune.

When asked to comment on the matter, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Eileen Petula wrote, “Allegheny College is deeply committed to the safety of our students and our community,” in an email to The Campus.

“When the College receives information that may pose immediate concerns for the safety of community members, it may take measures following College policy and complying with all applicable laws,” Petula wrote in the email. “We comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) but it is our policy not to publicly discuss any particular case or situation, directly or indirectly.”

After being found at Arter Hall, Foreman and Garcia were each charged with one count of criminal trespass and arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Samuel Pendolino.

Foreman and Garcia’s preliminary hearing in the trespassing case is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 26.