A letter from the editor

Parish says her final goodbye

Having covered everything from the hiring of administration and faculty members, curriculum changes, breaking news, sporting events, sustainability goals, alumni features and guest speakers, this is one topic I have never written about before — myself.

I have never been too keen on the farewell column. It takes a certain amount of pride to think people care about what you have to say, and it takes an even bigger ego to decide the most interesting subject to write about is yourself.

But, the editor’s farewell column is a tradition at The Campus. For the last four years, this publication has become my life, so here it is — my final goodbye.

On the third floor of the Henderson Campus Center, tucked between Spiritual and Religious Life and GAP, sits The Campus newspaper office — a place I have grown to call home after spending four years at Allegheny.

As a high schooler who was touring campus for the first time, my most exciting hello was this office. As a first-year student, my greatest challenge was news writing. As a sophomore, my safe haven was the newsroom, and as a junior and Campus editor-in-chief, my pride and joy was this student-run newspaper.

Being a member of The Campus staff has been the most worthwhile experience of my undergraduate career. I have had the privilege to write for every section of The Campus, interview individuals from all over the world and share the stories that make Allegheny a respected, innovative and leading liberal arts institution.

The Campus has let me expand and enhance my career as both a reporter and a student. Working for the newspaper, no week was ever boring. No matter what, I have learned that the only constant in the world is its unpredictability.

I would be lying if I said my relationship with The Campus has been nothing but easy and filled with sunshine and roses. It has been a relationship filled with tough calls and more sleepless nights than I care to admit, but I would not change it in any way.

From fielding critiques from Allegheny administrators, faculty, students and community members, having burnt copies of the newspaper delivered to our office door and handling people stealing whole stacks from our racks because they are displeased with the content, The Campus has made me stronger. I have learned the importance and value of being able to defend and stand by your work with poise and integrity.

I have learned the importance of a free press, something I hope Allegheny works to stress and teach to its students.

A former sports editor, features editor, and two-term editor-in-chief, I have published nearly 100 articles, edited hundreds of stories and designed over 800 pages of The Campus; however, my favorite unofficial title I have earned through working with the newspaper: Crisis manager.

It started as a joke during my first year as editor. For weeks, it seemed like everything went wrong — as if the universe was against us. Computers crashed, stories fell through and when we were finally ready to put the paper to bed, the printer failed.

No matter the challenge, The Campus has overcome. That is the mentality I led with and will continue to live by after I leave Allegheny College.

When I first started writing for The Campus, I was timid and unsure of who I was and who I wanted to be. After four years of working with incredible reporters and being taught by life-changing mentors, I would not be the person I am today — someone who is not afraid to ask the tough questions or raise my hand when I do not know the answer myself.

A special thanks to the leaders who came before me: Christina Bryson, ’16, Angela Mauroni and Eylie Buehler, ’17, and Joseph Tingley, ’18. A thank you to those who have taught me along the way: Cheryl Hatch, Michael Crowley, Eric Pallant and Ben Slote.

Finally, to my staff — it has been a pleasure to work with and guide each and every one of you. Thank you for making the sleepless nights full of laughter, sarcasm and fun. I have learned more from all of you than you realize — thank you.

While I can count my bylines, I can only estimate the hours I have invested during my two years as editor-in-chief to make sure The Campus is the strongest publication possible. I am proud of both my growth and The Campus’s transition into a dynamic publication.

Serving as editor-in-chief has provided me with experiences most students would not be able to dream of having, and sharing Allegheny’s many stories with the world is an honor I will treasure forever. Having been able to play such a pivotal role has brought me closer to Allegheny’s history and those who helped build it before me.

As a graduating senior, I have no doubt The Campus is sure to be my hardest goodbye as it preserves the college’s history — a history I helped write in order to create a legacy that will last forever.

I look forward to seeing Matthew Steinberg and Lauren Trimber, co-editors-in-chief, continue its legacy of excellence next year. It has been an honor and a privilege to have served as editor of The Campus.

Thank you for reading.