Charity Denim raises money for Meadville Center of Family Services

Courtesy of http://www.facebook.com/

The Panhellenic Council hosted a Charity Denim sale Tuesday, raising over $200 for the Meadville Center for Family Services.

The sale, which featured overstock designer jeans at discounted prices, took place in the Campus Center, and was open to Allegheny students as well as the general public.

Charity Denim is a non-profit organization that co-hosts sales with organizations around the nations to raise money for a variety of causes.

Jessica Minsterman, ’11, Vice President of Philanthropy for the Panhellenic Council and one of the driving forces behind the sale, was as pleased with the event’s success as the cooperative spirit behind it.

“It is a Panhellenic Council sponsored event,” Minsterman said. “But definitely a collaborative effort from all female chapters.”

Taylor Wendaur, ’11, President of the Panhellenic Council, echoed Minsterman’s enthusiasm.

“Each of the five sororities has been very supportive ” Wendaur said. “Our fraternity and sorority life members are highly motivated and work to make an impact on campus and in the community,” she went on, praising Greek life’s enthusiasm to “help the Meadville community in whatever way possible while bringing to campus something that, hopefully, the student body enjoys.”

Wendaur was also extremely pleased with the Vice President of Philanthropy’s work.

“The Panhellenic Council position of Vice President of Philanthropy is only in its second year of existence,” Wendaur said. “Through this position we have made great strides in relating to the Meadville community as well as providing programming and service opportunities to sorority life members as well as the rest of the student body.”

Students were also satisfied with the Panhellenic Council’s work, albeit for different reasons.

“I’m really glad I’m here for the Charity Denim sale,” said Sarah Twing, ’13. “It goes to a good cause and they have great discounts on really expensive jeans. I’ll definitely be here next year if they have it.”

Allegheny is only one stop in a larger fundraising effort for Charity Denim, who partner largely with Greek organizations around the nation.

Lance Little, the Charity Denim representative at the sale, named American University, Colombia University, and Georgetown University as recent stops.

“We usually sell up to forty to fifty pairs of jeans at every show,” Little said when asked about the success of the fundraisers.

With some pairs of jeans selling for up to $95, those kind of sales really add up.

For more information, tune into This Allegheny Life on Channel 24 at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday for an in-depth interview with the Panhellenic Council members on the Charity Denim sale.

Courtesy of http://www.facebook.com/