Two students assaulted in front of Ford Chapel

Two Allegheny College students were assaulted by two unknown attackers outside Ford Memorial Chapel around 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 22.

The two male students were standing outside of Ford Chapel when the assailants approached them from across North Main Street and proceeded them.

Britiny Hubbard, ’19, and her friends were waiting for The Loop at the North Main Street stop at Brooks Walk, planning to head into downtown Meadville when they witnessed the attack.

“There were two guys standing by the library. One was in a black hoodie and one was in a grey hoodie,” Hubbard said. “We thought they were students, so we didn’t really pay attention to them. Then the two guys crossed the street to the two students and just started attacking them for no reason.”

Hubbard said another student broke up the altercation and the two attackers fled down North Main Street.

Anza Kisyanto, ’17, and Mike Eltma, ’20,  the two students who were assaulted, said no one intervened or broke up the altercation.

Hubbard and her friends said they assisted the students to the Office of Public Safety, where they were later transported to the Meadville City Police Department. Assistant Meadville Police Chief Michael Tautin and Allegheny College Director of Public Safety Ali Awadi could not be reached for comment after numerous phone calls on Thursday, Feb. 23.

An email sent by Public Safety at 1:15 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23, said the incident is currently being investigated by the Meadville City Police Department.

We thought they were students, so we didn’t really pay attention to them. Then the two guys crossed the street to the two students and just started attacking them for no reason.

— Britiny Hubbard

Two men were spotted at various locations around campus as early as 10 p.m. on separate occasions. It has not been established if these are the same two men who were involved in the attack that occurred later that night.

Dillin Gadley, ’18, and Sandra Munguia, ’17, said two men approached the rear of their apartment at 388 East College St. One of the unknown men proceeded to knock on the door and inquire about a missing friend.

“He was looking for a friend named Erin. He said he lost her and she was in pretty bad shape,” Gadley said. “He didn’t seem to really care about this friend. He walked away laughing.”

They called Public Safety after the incident, who said they would do a patrol around the immediate area, according to Gadley and Munguia.

Two males were also spotted by Anna White, ’17, and Lexi Cammarata, ’17, as they were driving by the library back to their apartment around 10:45 p.m.

“One of them was in the street, so we stopped to let him cross. But he just stood there for an awkward amount of time,” White said.

Although an officer in the security office said he believes the two students who were attacked are okay, there was no confirmation from Awadi and the Meadville City Police Department.

Updated March 9, 2017 at 3:37 p.m.