Students begin patrols with Public Safety

Director of Public Safety Ali Awadi adjusts the vest of Hamza Masaeed, ’20, a member of the Gator Patrol Service, a new service of students working with the Office of Public Safety, before heading for his shift on Nov. 4, 2016. Members of the GPS divide into groups and patrol different parts of campus and assist Public Safety in ensuring the safety and well-being of students, Awadi said.  Awadi said the students of the GPS each work two or three hour shifts between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. throughout the week. He said their role is largely to help students in need of assistance and alert Public Safety to any potentially hazardous situations.  As the GPS becomes more visible, Awadi said he hopes students will accept that they are there to help.  “We want to make sure the campus embraces them,” Awadi said.
Joseph Tingley
Director of Public Safety Ali Awadi adjusts the vest of Hamza Masaeed, ’20, a member of the Gator Patrol Service, a new service of students working with the Office of Public Safety, before heading for his shift on Nov. 4, 2016.
Members of the GPS divide into groups and patrol different parts of campus and assist Public Safety in ensuring the safety and well-being of students, Awadi said.
Awadi said the students of the GPS each work two or three hour shifts between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. throughout the week. He said their role is largely to help students in need of assistance and alert Public Safety to any potentially hazardous situations.
As the GPS becomes more visible, Awadi said he hopes students will accept that they are there to help.
“We want to make sure the campus embraces them,” Awadi said.