Greek Life presents new members at Run-Out

Jayne Piskorik

Fraternity and sorority members gather for a group picture on Brooks Walk at spring Run Out in 2015.

In search of new members, sororities and fraternities on campus will celebrate their traditional Bid Day on Saturday, Sept. 19.

Greek Life chapters will go around dorms and extend bids to new members in the morning. The bid cards invite Allegheny students to take part in different chapters.

Run-Out will follow the bid process at noon in front of Brooks.

All Allegheny students are welcome to watch this year’s Bid Day.

Greek Life participants will form a circle, dance, cheer and introduce new members into Greek Life.

Jayne Piskorik, director of the Office of Student Involvement and advisor for Greek Life, will take part in the event.

It is the first step for sororities and fraternities to make long-lasting friendships Piskorik said. She highly recommends participating in the Bid Day.

“It is a good way to connect with others,” Piskorik said.

Brianna Martig, ’16, is this year’s president of National Panhellenic Council.

The national organization takes care of developing and retaining fraternity entity as well as interfraternity relations. She encourages all students to attend the event and to participate in recruitment. The traditional Bid Day has a great meaning for her.

“I remember my first Bid Day as being cold, exhausting and so much fun,” Martig said.  “You will find guidance and make friends for lifetime.”

Martig said her experiences with Greek Life have become some of her favorite memories on campus.

“It is basically having a family within the whole Allegheny College community,” Martig said “You find a home.”

The involvement in Greek Life connects members with people all around the U.S. Great relationships were built within each chapter over hundreds of years, which promises an advantageous community. The leadership provides academic benefits as well as access to practical bargains.

Rebecca Anderson, ’16, has been a member of the Greek community since spring 2013. Although she was not tempted to join a sorority at first she went through formal recruitment. She describes Bid Day as a great experience and a time to celebrate.

“You enjoy yourself with your sisters,” Anderson said.

Enjoying the nostalgic and traditional society Anderson said she has had excellent experiences. Additionally she said she gained friends and a second family.

“You get out of it what you put in,” Anderson said.

Bid Day occurs near the beginning of each semester and is an invitation to participate in Greek Life.