Thirty-two international students join Allegheny

The+new+international+students+pose+for+their+first+group+photo+in+front+of+Brooks+Hall+on+Thursday%2C+Aug+20.+

Meaghan Wilby

The new international students pose for their first group photo in front of Brooks Hall on Thursday, Aug 20.

Thirty-two new international students from 13 different countries joined the Allegheny community this year. This group is compiled of degree seeking students, exchange students and teaching assistants. They join the 39 international students already studying at Allegheny to make an international community of 71 students.

Twenty of the new arrivals are degree-seeking students who represent countries all over the world. They come from Albania, India, Mozambique, South Korea, two from Pakistan and 14 from China. These students commit to four years at Allegheny and will receive their degree from the college.

The exchange students do not graduate from Allegheny and are here for only one year or one semester. This year there are two from Brazil and two from Morocco, as well as students from France, Germany, China and Japan.

The teaching assistants are selected by the Department of Modern and Classical Languages. Some come from Allegheny’s partner universities overseas or through the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program. They are here for one year, live in their respective language houses, take two classes a semester and work alongside professors as another resource for students in the language department. This year new assistants from France, Germany, Spain and Taiwan join the Arabic teaching assistant who is returning for his second year.