GFC hosts first Open Mic Night of spring semester

Meghan Hayman

Trey Durst, ‘16, performs original songs during Grounds For Change’s first Open Mic Night for the spring semester on Jan. 29.this is a caption.

Snapping in a coffee shop seems cliche, but at Open Mic Night at Grounds For Change, the performances were anything but.

Sam Sobus, ’17, was the champion of a previous poetry slam and saw the first Open Mic Night of the semester as a great opportunity to share her poetry.

“It was a way to branch out,” said Sobus.

Singers and songwriters also performed. The musician’s colorful guitar complemented the tapestries that hung casually on the wall. The smells of ‘Vagabond’ coffee being served added to the experience.

Jonn Alcantara, ’18, a board member for GFC, attended the event to hear new music.

“I came to see if there was any original music being played,” said Alcantara between acts of various guitar duets.

Steve Milcarek, ’15, a student involved in the set up of the event, always enjoys Open Mic Night for its welcoming atmosphere.

“It’s a very open environment,” Milcarek said.

Open Mic serves as a medium for the thoughts and sounds of Allegheny student body, and is an opportunity for students to share their interests. GFC hopes to offer monthly Open Mic Nights spring semester.