Giving Thanks

Allegheny Student Government has had an emotionally taxing semester thus far. Both President Larry Hailsham and Vice President Autumn Vogel came into the year with a plan; a platform of goals for the student body for the 2014-2015 academic year. That plan had to be put on the back burner after many minor crises came up. Discussions among senators and cabinet members to restructure how ASG works has just added to the mess. With the semester just weeks away from finishing, multiple senator and cabinet members have resigned their positions. Most recently, Chief of Staff Brogan McGowan, Vice President Autumn Vogel and Director of Public Engagement Sloane Prince have all resigned their positions.

Needless to say, it has been a difficult year for ASG. But in my time here at Allegheny, it has been the most honest and transparent cabinet. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I think it’s important that we, as students, all give thanks for what we may take for granted. I, myself, am thankful that we as a student body have a student government that is passionate about representing student voice. Beyond student government, though, I am thankful that Allegheny has opened a stronger and more transparent dialogue between the administration and the student body so that student concerns are heard directly by the people who have the power to fix them.

While it is often easy to rail against an administration for things we, as students, think they should do better, I think it is harder to thank them for things they are doing right. I’m grateful that I go to an institution where they connect students with alumni very easily. That the career education often is proactive in its engagement throughout campus, whether it be through Resume Doctor or bringing speakers to campus. Most recently, ASG partnered with the career development office to bring in Dr. Wasif Syed, a human capital developer and councilor.

We are about to leave Allegheny for almost a week to go home with our families or friends to celebrate giving thanks for the people and things we have in our lives. I’m asking that we all reflect on what we have here, at Allegheny, and acknowledge the hard work of the people giving us a premium education.

Have a wonderful break, Gators.