ASG appoints new diversity director

Allegheny Student Government appointed a new director of diversity and inclusion at its general meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 31. Yemi Olaiya, ’17,  was approved by an almost unanimous vote of the senate with one abstention.

Olaiya was nominated by Chief of Staff Hayden Moyer, ’17. When asked by the senate to state what she would like to accomplish as the director, Olaiya said ensuring all groups on campus are accepted and treated equally is more important than ever.

“A lot of things put forward by [Donald] Trump have been in violation of our statement of community,” Olaiya said.

A lot of things put forward by [Donald] Trump have been in violation of our statement of community.

— Yemi Olaiya

Moyer also reported on discussions in various committees of the College Committees Council.

According to Moyer, the Campus Life and Community Standards Committee discussed making changes to the school’s alcohol policy.

Under the current policy, a student over the age of 21 was allowed to have one case of beer, two bottles of wine or one bottle of “spirits” in their room or “a reasonable combination of these types.” Under the proposed policy, according to Matt Hartwell, co-director of student affairs, students would only be permitted one unit per of age student.

Hartwell said the committee felt it would alleviate any confusion as to what a “reasonable combination” could be.

Vice President Sofia Kaufman, ’17, updated ASG in her report on her project to install a “Wellness Vending Machine,” somewhere on campus. The machine would be stocked with basic supplies such as over-the-counter medications, condoms, tampons and other basic necessities that might be difficult to find on campus otherwise.

Kaufman said she has been working with Gretchen Beck, associate dean and director of student leadership and involvement, on the project.

“[Beck] talked to the people who provide the other vending machines on campus and they do not feel comfortable providing us with a wellness vending machine at this time, because they do not see it as profitable,” Kaufman said.

Despite the setback, Kaufman said she plans to continue to pursue the project.

Co-Director of Student Affairs Sydney Fernandez, ’17, reported she, Hartwell and their committee are currently working to install more call boxes on campus, to ensure the safety of students.

“Our committee is working on getting more call boxes on campus, specifically by the library and College Court,” Fernandez said.

In addition to serving on ASG, Fernandez also serves as the Co-Science and International editor for The Campus.

Fernandez said she and Hartwell plan to speak with Ali Awadi, director of public safety, on installing the new boxes.

Class of 2020 Vice President Jason Ferrante told Fernandez that he had received complaints from his constituents who were concerned that students would not be able to see the panel of the box well enough to operate it in case of an emergency. Fernandez said she would bring up the concern when she and Hartwell next meet with Awadi.

The Class of 2018 also brought its plan to install three new cell phone charging stations around campus to the senate for a vote.

Under the plan, the class would be approved to purchase and have installed three new charging stations in Brooks Hall, Carr Hall and Pelletier Library. Each would have the ASG logo and an attribution to the Class of 2018.

The charging stations in Pelletier and Carr would both be attached to the wall and have four Apple Lightning cables, four micro USBs and one USB Type C. The price for these two stations, according to Class of 2018 President Valerie Hurst, will be $699 each.

Included in the price of the two charging stations is a three-year warranty that covers any repairs and the installation of any new phone chargers that might be introduced in that time. Hurst said the warranty typically covers two years, but as an academic institution, Allegheny qualified for a third year at no additional cost.

The third charging station, which is set to be placed somewhere in the entryway to Brooks Dining Hall, will feature six charging bays, each with their own lock, which the student can set to secure their phone as it charges. Hurst said this is a more high-traffic location and that the class wanted to be certain students’ phones were protected against possible theft.

The cost of the “charging locker” will be $2,799, Hurst said. The locker comes with a one-year guarantee.

Hurst said that in addition to the cost of the units and installation, the class also allowed for up to $100 in shipping charges. She said it was shipping will most-likely not exceed $75.