Playshop ends year with School For Lies

Christina Bryson, Junior Editor

The Allegheny College Playshop Theatre will present School for Lies, written by David Ives and adapted from The Misanthrope by Molière, April 24 through 27.

Director Mark Cosdon admires Molière’s work and his comic style.

“Molière devised a comic style that was brilliantly cutting and satiric and contemporary, skewering all who feel victim to his poison pen,” wrote Cosdon in a director’s note.

The play runs for two hours with a 15 minute intermission and includes a 9-person cast.

“[School for Lies] is an agonizingly funny comedy of sex, love, hypocrisy and trash talkin’. Misbehaving gossipers run amok in a world of glamor and scandal, clandestine love affairs, and slapstick antics. Performed in very contemporary couplets, David Ives’ farce is the perfect spring truffle,” said an event description courtesy of Allegheny College.

Cosdon included a tribute to the late Virginia Scott, a scholar and teacher with an interest in Molière, in the playbill.

AMASA SMITH/THE CAMPUS Nate Freed, ‘16, Christopher Schuchert, ‘16, and Samuel Reitman, ‘15, perform, in Playshop Theater’s School for Lies, which is running April 24 through 27 at the Gladys Mullenix Black Theatre.

AMASA SMITH/THE CAMPUS
Nate Freed, ‘16, Christopher Schuchert, ‘16, and Samuel Reitman, ‘15, perform, in Playshop Theater’s School for Lies, which is running April 24 through 27 at the Gladys Mullenix Black Theatre.

AMASA SMITH/THE CAMPUS Leanne Siwicki, ‘15, raps as the rest of the cast of School for Lies looks on. The play will be running April 24-27 in the Gladys Mullenix Black Theatre.

AMASA SMITH/THE CAMPUS
Leanne Siwicki, ‘15, raps as the rest of the cast of School for Lies looks on. The play will be running April 24-27 in the Gladys Mullenix Black Theatre.