Students upset over post office hours

Christina Bryson, Junior Editor

The campus post office changed its hours of operation from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m Monday through Friday, beginning on February 24. This information was sent through a campus-wide email  in mid-February.

“This will allow our post office staff and students workers uninterrupted time in the mornings to process packages and other mail,” read the campus-wide email.

Debbie Legnosky, manager of mailing services, denied an interview at this time.

Post office employees have been using this new system for more than a week.  Student postal workers have yet to experience a drastic improvement in changing the hours of operation.

“If anything, I think it’s more of an inconvenience for everyone on campus,” said Amanda Geary ’15, a student postal worker. “Now, when we open at noon, there is a huge line that we need to address immediately. It has almost back-fired, to a degree. Sometimes, we aren’t done sorting packages and mail by noon. If the mail arrives late, for example, then we’re really bombarded.”

Ryan Cambier, ’15, works morning shifts at the post office.

“I go in and from 8 to 9:30 a.m. I don’t do any postal work, it’s mostly just homework,” said Cambier.

The post office used to be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for mailing services. Now the post office operates from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but is only available to students for four hours. Some student employees lost workable hours from their schedule.

“I ended up losing an hour a week with the change in hours because I’m very busy in the morning so I can only work afternoons,” said Zach Bauer, ’15.

Cambier and other student employees learned that the post office was changing its hours of operation the same day the general campus learned.

Bauer was with a group of his friends when the school-wide email was sent out.

“The day I got the email I was sitting in GFC and the five or six people I was sitting with all got the email at the same time on their phones,” said Bauer. “They were all like ‘This is crap. I can only get there one day a week.’”

A lot of the student body has had negative reactions to having a post office open for only four hours a day on weekdays.

“I think it really negatively impacted the students,” said Bauer.

Cambier described that most students reacted negatively towards the change, specifically, reacting with anger.

“I think if they had like a window of just an hour in the morning that would be better, but it seems like they didn’t consult,” said Cambier. “There wasn’t too much collaboration on it. It was a quick decision.”

Some people speculate whether limiting student access to the post office to four hours a day, five days a week was a necessary change.

“We’re busy, but the volume of students coming between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. is very low, maybe 10 to 20 people on a busy day,” said Geary. “It wouldn’t have been impossible to be short one worker and get all the work completed.”

Tuny Lauffer, a full-time mail clerk, retired earlier this semester. With her retirement, there are currently only three full-time employees working at the post office, causing a change in the pace of operation.

“The college could have hired another employee or a few more student workers to compensate for the woman who retired and keep the mail room open for its regular hours,” said Geary.

The college has not hired a new employee.

“I think if people want a change they need to let, not necessarily the people that work in the mail room know, but the people with a little more responsibility, Dean of Students, that sort of thing know,” said Bauer.