SNOw days on campus?

On Wednesday, students trudged through inches of accumulated snow and ice from Tuesday night.

By ELAINA MERCATORIS and KATRINA TULLOCH
[email protected],

The College of Wooster in Ohio canceled classes on Wednesday due to the impact of the Feb. 2 ice storm. Kenyon College, another small, liberal arts institution in Ohio, canceled all classes and activities as well.

As Allegheny students trudged knee-deep through snow and sleet to class yesterday, some might have wondered what it could possibly take for Allegheny College to call a snow day.

“There would have to be a real emergency,” said Dean of Students Joe DiChristina. “If you could imagine a storm that would put out all the electricity – where we wouldn’t have the ability to run classrooms, to feed students.”

Courtney Columbus, ’11, thinks snow day standards should be more lenient at the college.

“If you have to ice skate to class, it should be a snow day,” she said.

DiChristina couldn’t remember the last time Allegheny had a snow day, but certain factors have made it possible for the college to stay open during inclement weather.

“Because we’re a residential college, we can keep heat and water running,” DiChristina said. “But if a professor can’t make it to campus, they do have the option to cancel their class.”

Despite the weather, many Allegheny employees didn’t have any trouble getting to campus.

Director of Student Involvement Gretchen Symons walks to work every day through campus.

“It was a little precarious [yesterday morning],” she said. “Sometimes the walks are plowed and sometimes they’re not.”

Debbie Legnosky, manager of the post office, said all of her employees arrived to work on time on Wednesday.

“They just drove slow,” she said.

Jeanne Lee, a McKinley’s employee often working at the register, had no trouble driving the four and a half miles to work but almost fell when she walked on campus.

“It was icy walking in from the third floor,” she said. “They could do a better job salting.”