Allegheny College Rises in Rankings

By KATRINA TULLOCH  ([email protected])

Allegheny College has risen in rankings across the United States, according to the U.S. News and World Report’s annual college ranking system.

According to the publication’s web site, Allegheny College ranked 85th in the nation for Liberal Arts Colleges – a considerable jump from the college’s 94th place ranking last year.  Allegheny also ranked 9th in the new list “Top 10 Up-and-Coming Liberal Arts Colleges.”

President Jim Mullen conveyed his pride in the college’s improvement through a campus-wide e-mail sent on August 27th.

“Our enrollment continues strong, as more and more families recognize every year the value of an Allegheny education,” Mullen said.  “Last week U.S. News & World Report named us a Top 10 ‘Up-and-Coming’ liberal arts college, one of a handful of ‘schools everyone should be watching.’ Each and every one of you should feel proud of that recognition, because it is through your efforts that we are achieving pre-eminence on a national stage.”

Student response to the elevation in rankings has been mixed.

“That’s interesting considering the basements of the dormitories still flood,” said Colin Steed, ’11.

Tour Guide Lisa Smith shows her appreciation for the recognition.

“As a tour guide, it really is a pleasure,” said Smith, ’11.  “But I can’t say I’m totally surprised; I think we rock.  It’s nice to be acknowledged.”

Some students believe the recognition is overdue.

“Being almost 200 years old, I thought Allegheny was already ‘up-and-coming,’” said Nate Summers, ’12.

The administration is working to maintain and boost the college’s rankings with a strategic plan that will guide us through the next ten years, in spite of the economy.

“The way the economy is right now has made it hard for a lot of schools to finish their projects, but Allegheny is still doing really well,” said Smith.  “Admissions just took in a really big, strong class and we’re getting our projects done, where other schools may falter.”

Mullen explains that thirty-three members of Allegheny faculty, staff, students and alumni spent several weeks of their summers “working on strategic plan recommendations, based on the conversations held throughout campus earlier in the year.” Responses to the planning will be open to the college community.

“We expect to release a summary of their work in September so that each of you will have an opportunity to comment before the strategic plan itself is drafted,” Mullen said.

Smith offers her opinion on our Allegheny College’s strengths.

“I think what our school does really well is listening to students,” said Smith.  “If the college continues to ask the student body and organizations what we want to see, it’ll keep us happy and reflect in our rankings.  We should maintain that dialogue between the students and administration.”