$50
$500

• R

Rebecca CanterburyApr 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Alexandra,
    if you take notice to the comment from Andrew Flowers, you will notice that his comment was very liberal. He was saying that he doesn’t think it was far enough.
    He AGREES with it.

Jamie Breitinger supported the bill, but she had misgivings (as did Flowers).

“With all things considered, one thing is certain: the bill has created mixed reactions but many people think this reform was needed.”

Mostly everyone supports the bill, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who is whole-heartedly with this issue.
    Everyone is going to have something that they don’t like about it, and that is what I was conveying about it.
    If they do, they are going in with the wool pulled over their eyes.

As for this being just like Fox News, Fox News would not bring up issues such as children being denied health care.

I sent you the entire article that I wrote via email, because, as you know, articles get cut when published.

Many people thought this reform was needed, that is all I will say on the matter.

Reply
  • J

jaffeaApr 29, 2010 at 5:54 pm

@Fair and Balanced

My understanding of the assignment was it was supposed to cover the response of the Allegheny community to the health care bill. Any article we publish in the Campus is Allegheny-oriented, and while I agree it is refreshing and important to add outside points of view, completely overlooking the points of view on our campus creates an article that could be published anywhere and doesn’t offer anything unique to Allegheny students that they couldn’t pick up from the daily newspaper or online. Also, I agree–quotes are opinions. But a journalist will always look for an opposing viewpoint just to show the range of ideas and conflicts surrounding the story; otherwise, they are not telling the full story. I don’t think it would have been that hard to find one or two quotes from people who agreed with or praised the bill, to balance out the coverage.

Reply
  • S

Steven JonesApr 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I realize I may have made comments that imply this paper could be plagarism. That is a serious offense to Rebecca as well as The Campus paper, and the comment was made over disappointment in what the article provided, not over any substantial facts. My apologies to Rebecca Canterbury and to The Campus.

Reply
  • S

Steven JonesApr 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

This article seems too little too late. It doesn’t include the opinions of any Allegheny students as Alexandra mentions. This article mostly comes off as apathetic and pessimistic towards anything good coming out of D.C.

And there seems to be the lack of information describing how when people were polled about the various provisions as individual laws, they loved it. But when it was all put together as a giant bill, it was less favorable.

My only complaint is that this article does not provide ‘mixed’, but mostly negative reactions to the Healthcare Bill, listing off the most promising aspects as miniscule details. This almost sounds like it was copied from a Pittsburgh paper and put here as an Allegheny story.

Reply
  • F

Fair and BalancedApr 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm

@ Alexandra Jaffe
    Who said that when people write articles for a school newspaper that it had to include sources from that particular school? Did it ever occur to you that it may be refreshing to get opinions from those who attend learning instituions, other than the one you sit and learn from 5 days a week? Facts are facts… and that was what was presented here. As for the negative opinions that were given by the interviewees, opinions are just that… opinions. When interviewing people you are not going to have an even amount of positive or negative responses on a certain topic. So deal with it. Not everyone who attends Allegheny College or reads its newspaper keeps up with health care reform, so its nice to see something published for those students who can quickly get the facts. Don’t be so closed minded about what is published.

Great job presenting the facts and opinions on this sensitive subject!!

Reply
  • A

Alexandra JaffeApr 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This isn’t news–It’s opinion, at best. You offer us three sources, none of whom are from Allegheny, all of whom have something negative to say about the bill. The article doesn’t really tell students anything new or offer us an insight into how the bill will affect Allegheny specifically. Honestly, this column is as fair and balanced as Fox news.

Reply
Activate Search
Health Care Bill Responses