Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor

Ellis Giacomelli is a senior majoring in environmental science and minoring in journalism in the public interest. She serves The Campus as a features editor and copy editor. Her favorite thing about working for The Campus is the weekly paper cut she receives from sliding the first copy off a stack of papers. Ellis enjoys drinking apple cider, visiting greenhouses, drinking apple cider while visiting greenhouses and knitting. She has been knitting the same scarf for three years and would like to finish it before she dies.

All content by Ellis Giacomelli
A group of students stand on the steps of Hulings Hall in 1890.

Allegheny Spaces: Hulings Hall

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 26, 2019

This story concludes a three-part series highlighting the histories and functions of campus spaces at Allegheny College. Hulings Hall was built in 1879 and served as the first on-campus residence hall...

From the tap: Exploring Meadville’s municipal water from source to sewer

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 19, 2019

From the tap is a three-part series exploring Meadville’s municipal water from source to sewer. The full series can be found at alleghenycampus.com. A kettle of boiling water rests on the stovetop,...

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 18, 2019

A kettle of boiling water rests on the stovetop, vapor escaping as you choose a bag of tea. After flipping through a row of bags, you settle on Earl Grey and turn back to the kettle just when it starts...

A 1905 handcolored postcard, produced by the New York City-based Rotograph Co., depicts the southwest corner of Ford Memorial Chapel.

Allegheny Spaces: Ford Memorial Chapel

This story is the second in a three-part series highlighting the histories and functions of campus spaces at Allegheny College. With a string of restorations and renovations, Ford Memorial Chapel has been...

Allegheny Spaces: College Archives and Special Collections

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 11, 2019

This story is the first in a three-part series highlighting the histories and functions of campus spaces at Allegheny College. The College Archives and Special Collections at the Lawrence Lee Pelletier...

Allegheny Gender and Sexuality Alliance hosts annual drag show

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor April 4, 2019

With makeup applied, boots laced and wigs pinned, seven contestants took a collective breath before walking the runway during the second annual drag show, hosted by the Allegheny Gender and Sexuality Alliance...

A small cherub statue is visible through rhododendron branches at Greendale Cemetery on Randolph Street, in Meadville, one of many “hidden treasures” described by Michael Keeley and Mary Vogan in ‘This is a Cemetery: Greendale.’

Local storytelling: Keeley shares life, work of Vogans in new documentary, ‘This is a Cemetery: Greendale’

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor March 7, 2019

With quiet excitement, Mary Vogan gently moved a veil of rhododendron branches, revealing a small stone statue hidden beneath. “There’s so many hidden treasures here,” Michael Keeley remarked to...

A full auditorium at Park Avenue Cinema applauds after the premier of Michael Keeley’s documentary, ‘This is a Cemetery: Greendale,’ which was screened at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019.

[Photo] A balancing act: Alexander String Quartet comes home to Allegheny

Lauren Trimber, Features Editor March 7, 2019

From a comp cube: Albert explores narratives of transgender youth in senior project

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor February 28, 2019

It went from “shaky, to unstable, to almost impossible,” for John Blanchard, a 16-year-old who came out to his parents as transgender when he was a first-year high school student. Among several other...

Remembering David

Remembering David

Ellis Giacomelli and Lauren Trimber January 31, 2019

It was the season of Lent some 20 years ago, and children in Freeport, Pennsylvania, vowed to surrender video games and chocolate. “Well Dave gave up the alphabet for Lent,” Nancy Shipe said. “And...

Annual Spiritual and Religious Life Week to celebrate ‘Connections’

Ellis Giacomelli and Lauren Trimber January 25, 2019

The smells of hot coffee from Tarot Bean Roasting Company, which calls Chestnut Street home, are set to welcome campus and community members to the Midwinter Festival Saturday, Jan. 26, in the lobby of...

Campus recycling shifts with global markets

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor January 25, 2019

As winter greets us with gifts of snow and ice, and the campus community seeks warmth and refreshment in Allegheny dining halls, change is upon us. Recycling guidelines, outlined by the college’s trash...

The class of 2022 international students represents the largest class of international students in Allegheny College’s history and represents the 17 counties shaded above, with nine students from China, three from South Korea, two from Canada, as well as individual students from: Croatia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Indonesia, Japan, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sudan, Taiwan and Ukraine.

Class of 2022 represents largest international class

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor November 29, 2018

In a sea of likely nervous first-year students, chatter filled Shafer Auditorium in August for the matriculation of the 494 students in the class of 2022. Among these 494 students were 28 international...

Allegheny Up ’til Dawn exceeds fundraising goal for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor November 8, 2018

By moonrise Nov. 1, at 12:47 a.m., teams of fundraisers for the annual St. Jude Up ’til Dawn at Allegheny College had raised $32,801 — almost 94 percent of its $35,000 goal.   By Friday, Nov. 2,...

Allegheny gets outside: Outing Club continues 90-year legacy

Crunched leaves rest along a trail of bootprints as steady breathing becomes visible in the cool, fall air. Birds high in the trees sing to the hikers, who have Allegheny Outing Club emblems printed...

Jane Westenfeld, research and Special Collections librarian for the Lawrence Lee Pelletier Library, flips through a diary Ida Tarbell kept in 1905 and 1906 on Oct. 29, 2018. Westenfeld said the Ida Tarbell Collection at the college’s library contains more than 17,000 items.

[Photo] Tarbell’s legacy to be honored with discussion of journalism, reprint of 1904 publication ‘The History of the Standard Oil Company’

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor November 1, 2018

Jane Westenfeld, research and Special Collections librarian for the Lawrence Lee Pelletier Library, flips through a diary Ida Tarbell kept in 1905 and 1906 on Oct. 29, 2018. Westenfeld said the Ida Tarbell...

“Progress,” stretches across the center of Sophie Thompson’s, ’21, deconstructed fuel tank.

[Photo] Artistic moves and environmental movements

Matthew Steinberg, Features Editor October 25, 2018

Rene Benoit, ’20, created digital art using Adobe Photoshop technology and overlaying images of environmental damage with images of human bodies.

Jeff Davenport and Jeff Boswell walk  through the orchard at  Davenport Fruit Farm  Cidery and Winery on  Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018.

Homegrown and still growing

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor October 18, 2018

On 14 acres of gentle, rolling earth, just over three miles from Allegheny College, sits Davenport Fruit Farm Cidery and Winery. The farm is situated along the eastern edge of Townline Road,...

Ray Marszalek, ’21, of  the Allegheny College Bike Share, sets up a stationary blender bike at the DeHart community market. Bike Share students offered applesauce made from the stationary blender bike and a mobile blender bike.

DeHart Local Foods Dinner: A community tradition

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor September 27, 2018

The 16th annual DeHart Local Foods Dinner brought over 200 students, college faculty and staff and community members together at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, in Schultz Banquet Hall. The dinner, prepared...

Students create their own bouquets of flowers, grown by Nancy Schultz and her daughter, Lorraine Sillman, of Saegertown, on Sept. 26, 2018, at the community market next to the Carrden.

[Photo]

Salmon Frank performs at the DeHart community market next to the Carrden before the 16th annual DeHart Local Foods Dinner.

[Photo]

Student volunteers serve guests at the 16th annual DeHart Local Foods Dinner on Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018, in Schultz Banquet Hall. The menu items were curated by Parkhurst Dining Services based on products from local farmers and producers, including Plot Twist Farm, Crawford County Fungi, Happy Mug Coffee, Tender Acres, Strawberry Lane Produce and Pine Run Farm, among others.

[Photo]

Student volunteers serve guests at the 16th annual DeHart Local Foods Dinner on Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018, in Schultz Banquet Hall. The menu items were curated by Parkhurst Dining Services based on products...

Michael Reed, owner of Tarot Bean Roasting Co. on Chestnut Street, tells students about coffee for sale at the DeHart community market.

[Photo]

[Photo]

Produce from the Allegheny College Carrden sits for sale at the DeHart community market.

[Photo]

ASG increases transparency with accessible minutes, updated website

Marley Parish, Ellis Giacomelli, and Matthew Steinberg September 20, 2018

Allegheny Student Government has added a new item to its agenda this year: improving its record keeping.  In addition to improving wellness and creating a better relationship with students and administrators,...

Celebrate and understand: College to host 2018 Constitution Day webcast

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor September 13, 2018

At the National Archives Museum in Washington, a more than 200-year-old parchment rests, preserved by the National Archives and Records Administration and the National Archives Foundation. On permanent...

Into the abbey and the abyss with latest franchise film ‘The Nun’

Lauren Trimber, Matthew Steinberg, and Ellis Giacomelli September 13, 2018

After the apparent suicide of a Romanian nun at Carta Monastery in 1952, “The Nun” follows Father Burke and Sister Irene, who are instructed by the Vatican to investigate at the deceased nun’s abbey....

Sustainability Coordinator Kelly Boulton, ’02, places a reusable to-go box in the McKinley’s Food Court OZZI machine. When boxes are placed in the slot, the barcode on the box is scanned, and a token is released in return.

[Photo] Getting greener: Reusable to-go boxes come to McKinley’s

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor September 6, 2018

Sustainability Coordinator Kelly Boulton, ’02, places a reusable to-go box in the McKinley’s Food Court OZZI machine. When boxes are placed in the slot, the barcode on the box is scanned, and a token...

Dull and faceless: ‘Slender Man’ falls short

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor August 30, 2018

With open arms, the faceless figure kneels to greet you. Then, you enter a new world —  a world you have never seen, a world you wish to never see again and a world that took 91 minutes of your time. The...

Sarah Shapley reflects on Fulbright experience

Ellis Giacomelli, Features Editor August 24, 2018

The Fulbright Program, developed by Sen. J. William Fulbright in 1946, provides opportunities for educators, students and professionals to explore relationships between the United States and other countries...

Max Kade International House Spotlight: Spanish House

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor April 26, 2018

When Daniel Melendez arrived at Allegheny at the beginning of last semester, he did not know how the college or living in North Village I’s Spanish House would change him. Melendez, the 2017-18 Spanish...

Campus clubs strive to create inclusive spaces

Olivia Blakeslee and Ellis Giacomelli April 26, 2018

The Association for Asian and Asian American Awareness, A5, and the Chinese American Friendship Society provide different avenues for cultural representation and understanding among American, Asian and...

Xingbang Liu, ’20, and Chih-Jung Chen, Chinese language teaching assistant, set up mahjong and teach Alec Tolmachoff, ’20, Thomas Cassidy, ’21, and Malcolm Willig, ’21, how to play at the Chinese American Friendship Society’s Chinese New Year Celebration on Friday, February 16, 2018.

[Photo]

Xingbang Liu, ’20, and Chih-Jung Chen, Chinese language teaching assistant, set up mahjong and teach Alec Tolmachoff, ’20, Thomas Cassidy, ’21, and Malcolm Willig, ’21, how to play at the Chinese...

Lyrid meteor shower visibility to peak over weekend

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor April 19, 2018

Shooting stars evoke a sense of magic, a sense of wonder and are often wished upon by hopeful dreamers. When one wishes upon a shooting star, they are wishing upon a meteor. Before a meteor is ever wished...

Falling out of love with the game:

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor April 12, 2018

From incredible Olympic moments and Super Bowl Sunday to Little League snack schedules and undying fans, sporting traditions in the United States have long been an important part of American culture. Athletes...

New members of the Phi Sigma Iota foreign language honor society pose with a banner after being inducted on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 in the Tippie Alumni Center.

[Photo] Language students honored

April 12, 2018

John Walton-Cale, '75, spoke about his experiences traveling and painting at the annual Phi Sigma Iota induction ceremony on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. Walton-Cale displayed photographs and images of his...

Allegheny Global Citizen Scholars to host first Refugee Awareness Week

The first cohort of Allegheny Global Citizen Scholars will host two events next week as part of what they have titled, “Refugee Awareness Week: Challenges of Coming and Belonging.” The GCS program,...

Expert witness in PA gerrymandering case visits campus

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor April 5, 2018

Wesley Pegden, assistant professor of mathematics at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, spoke to approximately 30 Allegheny faculty and students on Thursday, March 29, at 4 p.m. in Quigley Hall...

Gator International to celebrate language diversity

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor March 8, 2018

For nearly 100 years, the Phi Sigma Iota Honor Society has recognized and celebrated eligible collegiate students studying foreign languages. Founded at Allegheny College in 1922, Phi Sigma Iota has since...

Former Allegheny athletes reflect on passion and struggle

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor March 1, 2018

At 6 a.m., you lift five more pounds than the week before. At 7 a.m., you eat a bagel, and at 8 a.m., you click a pen as you place your biology notebook on a desk in Carr Hall. You repeat until the season...

Two heartbreaks

Ellis Giacomelli, Science and International Editor February 22, 2018

After 15 years without Howie Epstein and nearly five months without Tom Petty, I have been thinking about my dad sharing his love of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with me. Growing up, I must have heard...

Max Kade International House Spotlight: French House

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor February 22, 2018

The International Wing’s French House in North Village I provides a comfortable space for students to supplement their classroom learning and is currently home to five residents, including French Teaching...

Xingbang Liu, ’20, projects an image, displayed at top, through a computer as Chris Miller, ’19, president of the Chinese American Friendship Society, helps set out food catered by Peking Restaurant of Erie.

[Photo]

Xingbang Liu, ’20, projects an image, displayed at top, through a computer as Chris Miller, ’19, president of the Chinese American Friendship Society, helps set out food catered by Peking Restaurant...

Members of the Chinese American Friendship Society play mahjong.

[Photo]

Chih-Jung Chen, Chinese language teaching assistant sets up a mahjong game at the Chinese New Year celebration.

[Photo]

The Chinese American Friendship Society hosts a Chinese New Year celebration in the Henderson Campus Center on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018.

[Photo]

Aaron Arden, ’20, studies the board as he plays Go with Chris Miller, ’19.

[Photo]

Chris Miller, ’19, thinks about his next move in Go against Alexander Marrero, ’19.

[Photo]

The Chinese American Friendship Society hosts a Chinese New Year celebration in the Henderson Campus Center on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. In the 12-year cycle of the Chinese Zodiac, 2018 is the Year of the Dog.

[Photo]

The Chinese American Friendship Society hosts a Chinese New Year celebration in the Henderson Campus Center on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. In the 12-year cycle of the Chinese Zodiac, 2018 is the Year of the...

Xingbang Liu, ’20, and Chih-Jung Chen, Chinese language teaching assistant, set up mahjong and teach Alec Tolmachoff, ’20, Thomas Cassidy, ’21, and Malcolm Willig, ’21, how to play.

[Photo] Chinese American Friendship Society celebrates Chinese New Year

February 22, 2018

Alexander Marrero,’19, plays Go, an ancient Chinese board game, with Chris Miller, ’19.

[Photo]

A love story: Explicable systems, inexplicable feelings

Ellis Giacomelli and Olivia Blakeslee February 15, 2018

Mystery chocolates disgust or delight, roses dance across the country and drug store shelves are ravaged for cards containing strangers’ poetry. Together, these breed a frenzied phenomenon — Valentine’s...

Recycling: Global markets, local efforts

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor February 1, 2018

A can resting in an otherwise empty blue recycling bin must feel lonely. As the can ponders its existence and recalls being the chosen beverage among a sea of other brightly colored cans, others gather...

Festival brings foreign cinema to Meadville

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor January 25, 2018

The annual International Film Festival, curated by Allegheny’s Department of Modern and Classical Languages, begins Wednesday, Jan. 31, at the Movies at Meadville with the 2017 French documentary “Faces...

College continues to make strides toward carbon neutrality

Marley Parish and Ellis Giacomelli November 9, 2017

Although the 2017 Energy Challenge has come to an end, Allegheny College students, staff and administrators have not stopped in their efforts to continue on the path of making the school more sustainable...

Brian How of Edinboro provides a waltz lesson to Allegheny College students at the contra dance in Montgomery Hall on Oct. 28, 2017.

Communities gather at monthly contra dance

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor November 2, 2017

Join hands and circle right, right-hand star, one, two, three, four… Fifteen years ago, Dance and Movement Studies 112: Community Contra Dance was established as a dance and movement studies course...

International Club students pose as they walk along Niagara Falls in Niagara Falls, New York on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017.

Allegheny International Club travels to Niagara Falls, plans for upcoming events

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor September 28, 2017

Members of the Allegheny College International Club traveled to Niagara Falls on Saturday, Sept. 16. The trip was the club’s first official outing of the 2017-2018 academic year. “Every year we host...

The M-Ark project will be part of the In Case of Emergency exhibit at the Science Gallery in Dublin, Ireland.

Rich awarded commission for Science Gallery Dublin

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor September 21, 2017

An explosive catastrophe eradicates life on Earth. Five thousand years in the future, a small satellite propels through the earth’s atmosphere and plunges into the depths of an ocean, delivering life...

Reeck publishes chapter in Oxford Handbook

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor September 14, 2017

Professor of Modern and Classical Languages and Chair of International Studies Laura Reeck contributed a chapter to the Oxford Handbook of Arab Novelistic Traditions, released in print on Sept. 1. Reeck...

Morgan enters first full semester in Gateway

The Campus: What is the International Education Office? Lucinda Morgan: “I kind of describe it in three parts. One is providing the services and sort of all the paperwork, all the technical sides for...

French Creek Watershed cleanup celebrates 25 years

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor September 7, 2017

The French Creek Valley Conservancy will host the 25th annual French Creek Watershed Cleanup on Saturday, Sept. 9. The cleanup involves individuals and teams cleaning in and around French Creek Saturday...

The interior of the greenhouse will feature a pellet stove, shelves and raised plant beds once completed this fall.

Campus garden gets new addition, greenhouse

Construction of the Carr Hall Garden greenhouse started over the summer months as part of an ongoing collaborative project with students and faculty. According to Sustainability Coordinator Kelly Boulton,...

Students hike through Topes de Collantes National Park in the Escambray Mountains, Cuba.

Experiential learning takes students abroad

Ellis Giacomelli, Science/International Editor August 31, 2017

The International Education Office offers annual Experiential Learning Seminars following each spring semester. At the end of the 2017 spring semester, four global seminars and one departmental seminar...

Allegheny announces 2017 commencement speakers

Ellis Giacomelli, Staff Writer April 20, 2017

Allegheny College’s 2017 Commencement Ceremony will feature Paula Kerger, president and CEO of the Public Broadcasting Service, and Vivien Li, president and CEO of Riverlife, as honorary degree recipients. Kerger...

Professor of English and Black Studies Valerie Prince traveled to West Africa during the summer of 2016. This photograph is one that Prince shared during her lecture. It shows a marketplace, a space in which women called to one another and Oriki practice could be observed.

A glimpse into Prince’s ‘Key Metaphors in Daughter’s Exchange’

Ellis Giacomelli, Staff Writer April 13, 2017

The final installment of the 2016-2017 Karl W. Weiss Faculty Lecture Series featured  Associate Professor of English and Black Studies Valerie Sweeney Prince on Wednesday, April 12. The faculty lecture...

Multi-billionaire CEO plans to launch space mission

Ellis Giacomelli, Staff Writer March 9, 2017

Outer space, once the dark void beyond the earth, is now an emerging real estate venture. Elon Musk, widely known as the co-founder and CEO of Tesla, Inc., has brought a commercial perspective to the industry...

Scholar speaks on the study of climate change

Allegheny College Environmental Science/Studies Department hosted Amanda DelVecchia, a postdoctoral scholar working at Allegheny through a National Science Foundation grant, on Friday, March 3 as the third...

Students pose for a selfie with photo booth props at the Association for the Advancement of Black Culture’s annual Ebony Ball on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017, in the Tillotson Room in the Patricia Bush Tippie Alumni Center.

Ebony Ball celebrates beauty

Ellis Giacomelli, Contributing Writer March 2, 2017

The Association for the Advancement of Black Culture hosted the annual Ebony Ball on Friday, Feb. 24 in the Tippie Alumni Center as part of Black History Month. “It’s a tradition we do every year....

Women’s lacrosse looks to earn conference title in 2017 season

Ellis Giacomelli, Contributing Writer February 23, 2017

Allegheny women’s lacrosse is seeking its first ever conference title as the team prepares for the upcoming 2017 season. “This is my fourth season, and I feel like we’ve finally gotten to a place...

Environmental science hosts first talk of series

Ellis Giacomelli, Contributing writer February 17, 2017

The environmental science and studies department hosted the first soup lunch and talk of the academic year on Friday, Feb. 10, as part of the Environmental Science Speaker Series. Students and faculty...

Kelsi Nicholson, ’17, gets costume makeup applied to her face prior to shooting a horror film scene for the AFTV’s 48 Hour Film Festival on Friday, Feb. 3, 2017.

Film festival returns to Allegheny campus

Ellis Giacomelli, Contributing Writer February 9, 2017

The Allegheny Film and Television club hosted the college’s first 48 Hour Film Festival since 2013 this weekend. The event began Friday, Feb. 3, in the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts, where the...

Load More Stories
$50
$500

Activate Search
Ellis Giacomelli