GAP gives 350 cacti to students

Nick Schake,’16, concentrates on decorating his cactus he picked out during GAP’s event last Saturday, Sept. 13.

MEGHAN HAYMAN, Photo Editor

A line weaved throughout the Campus Center lobby as students waited for their very own baby cactus last Saturday, Sept. 13.

Gator Activities Programming sponsored the late night event, providing 350 cactus plants to students who wanted to bring a little more green life to their rooms but required little care.

“It was a great turn out,” said Autumn Parker, ’16, vice president of special events. “They got a plant that was theirs to take care of.  Everyone goes crazy over mini things.”

Before students were able to pick a cactus with large spikes or small bristles, Alex Neal, ’15, GAP president, and Quintin Peacock, ’17, late night event coordinator, advised students to be careful when handling the plants.

cc1

After students picked out the cactus that caught their fancy, they either continued on with their night or stayed to decorate.

“They said it only needed to be water once a month,” said Sierra Hall, ’17, who was excited to own her first cactus plant. “It has lots of sparkles and I put stickers on mine.”

Ally Bartlett, ’16, remembers running into the line, which almost to the front doors of the Campus center, 15 minutes before the event officially started. She searched for the one with the largest, sharpest spikes.

“I already repotted my cacti and named them,” Bartlett said. “I love them.”

The next late night event, salsa making, will be hosted by Edible Allegheny this Friday, Sept. 19 in the Campus Center lobby from 10 to 11 p.m.

This cactus was renamed Copious by Ally Bartlett, ‘16, because of its many needles.

This cactus was renamed
Copious by Ally Bartlett, ‘16,
because of its many needles.