Taylor Samuel named NCAC Player of the Week

ALEX HOLMES, Sports Editor

1. What are the requirements to be chosen as NCAC Player of the Week?

I’m not really sure. I racked up 60 kills, four kills per set, which was the most on our team. I was also the key hitting member of our team.

1. How does it feel to have been nominated as NCAC Player of the Week?

It’s really cool. I haven’t gotten an award like that. It shows that my hard work since the beginning has paid off and I’ve improved.

1. What would you say to the people who nominated you?

Thank you for the prestigious honor early in the season. I hope I can continue to excel.

1. What’s next after such an honor?

Continue working hard at practice and better myself.

1. What is your favorite part of playing volleyball?

On the court, the excitement and intensity of playing with the team. And it’s fun!

1. How do you prepare for each game?

I start with a good night’s sleep the night before. For breakfast, I eat my egg whites and fruit. Then during warm up, no matter how hard the opposing team may be, I mentally prepare myself to play my game.

1. Why did you pick to play volleyball at Allegheny?

I actually didn’t at first. My dad sent my tapes from high school to the coach, who then got back to me and I love playing. I came here for the academics and I get to play my favorite sport also.

1. 8. How long have you been playing volleyball?

Since my junior year of high school so three years.

1. What do you think good coaches have in common?

They have to be passionate about the sport and have to understand their players to know how to deal with situations. Each player handles criticisms differently and yelling at some players won’t help them. They also have to come up with difficult drills that simulate a game atmosphere.

10. What are you looking forward to in the rest of the season?

Strengthening my friendships with the team and having a successful record.

11. How do your teammates support you?

Even if I miss a hit or a serve, they tell me “it’s okay”, “you got this”, “next time”. When I feel down, they are there to cheer me up. And I’m friends with them outside the court so I can go to them with anything.

12. What are the struggles of being a student athlete?

I do not do well on buses, I can’t do homework on the bus or I get bus sick. So I have to email my professors in advance and do the assignments before we leave each weekend.