Just for the Health of It: Stay Strong

GAVIN NIRMAIER, Contributing Columnist

It’s that time of year again! Classes are in full swing, activities are starting up, and suddenly all that extra time you had this summer is nowhere to be found.  It may already seem like exercise should be put on the backburner to free up time for homework, but think about these tips before you throw the idea of heading to the Wise completely out the window.

1.  Routine is everything: Right now is probably the least-busy time of the semester. Although readings and homework are always around, it is likely that papers and tests are put off for at least one more week.  Use this time to form a routine exercise time that you will have the ability to adhere to for the remainder of the semester.  If you do it now, it will be much easier to stick to on that cold, snowy November day (I know…horrible thoughts).  Exercise will provide physical and psychological benefits throughout the school year, so be sure to pencil it into your daily schedule!
  2.  Find a friend: Exercise is a great way to form a great friendship with someone. Instead of hanging out and playing 2 hours of video games with your roommate down the hall, head to the Wise or the multi-purpose fields at Robertson and enjoy the day with exercise!  Exercising with someone gives you a common goal and time to talk; it is a great overall bonding experience.  Having someone to hold you accountable to a routine is always a bonus as well.
  3.  Escape the stress: Stress comes in great waves here at Allegheny; this is a well-known fact. To combat that stress, exercise.  Exercise releases endorphins, which are neurotransmitters that make you happy.  These helpful neurotransmitters will surely have you forgetting the stresses of the day!

I would like to take this time to wish everyone a successful school year.  I am excited to have this opportunity to write about health, fitness, and motivation.  I am always looking for new ideas for articles, and find it especially fulfilling when I can write pieces based on the suggestions of my peers.  Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] concerning content you would enjoy seeing in this column.  I strive to make this a space that exudes health and fitness knowledge, with a hint of entertainment and a dash of dry humor.

Start this year strong!