Students celebrate Día de los Muertos

November 9, 2012 3:44 AM 2 comments Views: 123

Hana Felein, ’14, paints a skull design on her face in celebration of the Mexican holiday Día de los Muertos.
Photo credit: Stefano Wach.

By Holly Ramey, Contributing Writer

This year, Allegheny’s Unión Latina and Spanish faculty sponsored a variety of events to celebrate Día de los Muertos, a Mexican tradition which honors life, culture and family.

At a late-night event on Oct. 27 in the Campus Center, students made sugar skulls and papel picado, tissue paper that is cut and designed for decorating. Their creations were later taken to Grounds For Change to be placed on an altar display.

The altar, piled high with brightly colored decorations and memorials of loved ones who have passed, is more than just a piece of artwork in this celebration.

Veronica Dantán, professor of Spanish and advisor of Unión Latina, described the significance of the skulls and the altar in the Día De Los Muertos tradition.

Dantán explained that each sugar skull is dedicated to the life of an individual human being, alive or dead. One can even make a skull for himself to reflect on life’s temporality.

Each life being honored also receives an altar which should reflect what the individual was like when he or she was alive. Typically altars are decorated with items such as the individual’s favorite music, food and drink.

“In that sense, we feel their spirit and their influence in us are still present,” said Dantán.

Unlike a gravestone, which have a sorrowful connotation, the altar welcomes the dead’s spirit to remain among the living.

“It is like saying, ‘We haven’t forgotten you. We know you are with us at every moment but today especially,’” said Dantán.

Neal Shah, ’15, co-hosted another Día De Los Muertos event held Nov. 2 in the
Max Kade International Lobby of North Village.

He said that Día De Los Muertos is a two-day event. The first day honors children that have passed; the second, adults.

“It is different from Halloween, where you think of demons coming at you,” Shah said. “It is instead a joyous day.”

Sharon Zavala, ‘15, explained that Día de los Muertos is based off Aztec traditions that date back to the sixteenth century.

“Although this celebration is associated with the dead, it is not portrayed as morbid or depressing but rather a time of happiness, color and fun,” Zavala said in an e-mail.

Participating in events such as these help to preserve ancient culture.

Ziania Narvaez-Garcia, ’15, believes Unión Latina has helped her learn more about her own culture.

“Although my family has always known about Día de los Muertos, it was not something that we actively celebrated,” Narvaez-Garcia said in an e-mail

At the event held in North Village, Dantán gave a lecture titled, “Ranchera Blues Over A Rainbow: Celebrating the Life and Death of Chavela Vargas.”

The lecture focused on the life of Chavela Vargas, a famous female Mexican Rancheras singer.
This type of music often dealt with a man’s unrequited love, accompanied by a small ensemble of instruments similar to a mariachi band. Vargas sang in this style, with her open identity as a lesbian, breaking the barriers of what it meant to be a Rancheras singer.

Vargas was iconic in her ability to re-define the Rancheras genre. Dantán said she believes it is important to celebrate Vargas’ life in the context of Día de los Muertos, because she was an influential woman in the past, present and future.

“Vargas opened up new paths for women and men that came after her,” Dantán said. “She gave many of us hope for new roads of the future.”

Unión Latina’s upcoming schedule for Latino Heritage Month includes a presentation from a keynote speaker Kenya Dworkin.

Professor Wilfredo Hernández, Unión Latina’s second advisor, knows Dworkin on a professional level. He said that Dworkin investigates the presence of Spanish writings in American colonial literature

“She is interested in showing how multicultural the United States was,” Hernández said.

He said he believes that not many people consider this an important topic, and for this reason Dworkin’s visit should be informative.

Hernández added that the celebration of Latino Heritage Month as a whole is important. People can evoke memories from the past and learn more about themselves in the present.

“We want the community to know more about the cultural meanings of these celebrations,” Hernández said.

He encouraged the Allegheny community to learn about Latin-American heritage by participating in the month’s events and experiencing the culture for themselves.

During the rest of the month, Unión Latina will sponsor a fundraiser for the Pulsera Project to help improve economic hardships in Nicaragua.

Additionally, AquiTango, a quartet of musicians accompanied by two tango dancers, will also visit campus to explain the significance of tango dance and music. This event will include music along with an explanation of the genre and a tango dancing performance.

• Tiffany Ng

The person pictured here is named Hana Falein, Class of 2014. Please make edits. This is embarrassing. Furthermore, Maya Jones is also in the Class of 2014.

• campuseditor

All changed. Thanks for telling us!

Other News

• Softball Sports

Softball finishes stretch 5-1

Nealer awarded NCAC Player of the Week after strong weekend By PAT JAMESON Sports Editor jamesonp@allegheny.edu It was a busy week for Allegheny Softball, playing six double headers in a four day span, ending the stretch 5-1. On Saturday April 5th, the Gators (10-1, 5-1NCAC) squared off against Denison College in their first conference matchup, dropping their sole loss of the week to the Big Red during the second bout of the day. The Gators dominated the first game using [...]

Read more →
  • Sports

Historic weekend propels Gators to win

By Emerald Wright-Collie Staff Writer wrightcolliee@allegheny.edu Men’s tennis faced off against Wittenberg and Ohio Wesleyan this past weekend in Delaware, Ohio. The Gators (9-4) won in convincing fashion, sweeping both squads on consecutive days to push their win streak to three. Standout Pat Cole, ’14 was named NCAC Player of the Week for a record breaking performance in the matchups.   “I think the fact that we have a lot of veterans on the team has contributed to our success [...]

Read more →
  • Science

This Week in Science 4-10-14

By AMANDA SPADARO Science Editor spadaroa@allegheny.edu During the early morning hours of April 15, a lunar eclipse will be visible from the Western Hemisphere. When a lunar eclipse occurs, the moon must be full and the earth must be aligned to block the sun from the moon. The moon moves behind Earth, preventing the reflection of the sun’s rays that gives the moon its luminescence. This type of eclipse may be safely watched, unlike a solar eclipse, which is when [...]

Read more →
  • Science

Just for the health of it

Columnist: Three tips to optimize your workout time By GAVIN NIRMAIER Columnist nirmaierg@allegheny.edu I was a sophomore in high school when I first began seriously exercising. My dad bought me some dumbbells, a weight bench, and a heavy bag and set up an exercise area in my basement. I would literally spend hours in the basement lifting weights, looking up videos concerning form, and doing my best to educate myself about training. I was (naïvely) a strong believer that the [...]

Read more →
  • Opinion

ReproCo: Just the Tips 4-10-14

Fundamentals of dirty talk By CASANDRA DELLAS Contributing Writer dellasc@allegheny.edu     Dirty Talk. Some people love it, others can’t stand it. This week’s Just the Tips will walk you all through some of the finer points to making steamy conversations with your sexual partner. Before starting, understand that overall tone and volume can be an effective tool to creating a sexually charged atmosphere as well. Whatever phrase you say can be changed drastically by whispering it in your partner’s [...]

Read more →
  • Opinion The Simple Things 4-10-14

The Simple Things 4-10-14

Read more →
  • Opinion

Editor: CNN’s coverage of Malaysian mystery controversial

By REBECCA FOX Opinion Editor foxr@allegheny.edu   With twenty-four hour news networks growing popularity around the country, we are seeing more and more updates of information and less investigative newsworthy reporting. When I look at my new source, CNN, I see this everyday. As a communication arts major and a journalism in the public interest minor, I am constantly questioning the ethical choices that go behind reporting in today’s media society. Because of media technology in our generation, there is [...]

Read more →
  • Opinion

Active Minds: How to beat stress and depression

By MICHAELA COWDEN Contributing Writer cowdenm@allegheny.edu   With the school year’s end rapidly approaching, the pressure is definitely on. Professors are squeezing in the last of their material and students are scrambling to complete assignments. And while summer, in our minds, should be a period of care-free  living, it is often filled with stressors all its own. Finding a job, landing an internship, taking summer classes and readjusting to living in your parents’ home again can all take its toll. [...]

Read more →