Gator athletics welcomes new coaching staff

Kayla McCormick

Kayla McCormick
Kayla McCormick, Swimming & Diving Assistant Coach

Campus: Why did you decide to be a coach?

McCormick: One of the biggest influences in deciding to be a coach was the fact that the people who had the biggest impact on my life were coaches. There’s a cool quote that says ‘coaches influence more people in one day than many do in a year,’ and I’ve found that those are the people that have shaped my life the most, and I want to be able to give back and do that for others.

Campus: What is your favorite part of coaching?

McCormick: My favorite part is the relationships that I build with the athletes and other coaches. I don’t think there’s any purpose in life if you aren’t helping out people who are standing right next to you and getting to know people in your life, and I believe they are placed there for a reason. That’s my favorite part, just building relationships and watching people go through life together.

Campus: How long have you been swimming?

McCormick: I started swimming when I was seven, then swam all the way through college. The 100 and 200 fly were my main events.

Campus: Why did you decide to come to Allegheny?

McCormick: Honestly, in a nutshell, God made it very clear that I was supposed to be here. A lot of it had to do with the people I met when I first visited and the way I felt drawn here. It was the right fit, it was exactly what I was looking for and the people made all the difference.

Campus: What are you looking forward to this season?

McCormick: I’m really looking forward to pushing the athletes, not necessarily where they want to go, but where they should be, and watching them grow into themselves. I look forward to the daily grind, and watching them get through practice, and at the end of the day have a smile and see that sense of accomplishment on their faces. It’s worth it everyday to me. Looking forward to how they progress throughout the season and grow as individuals and swimmers.

Campus: What do you think are the benefits of competing DIII?

McCormick: Definitely DIII is the epitome of loving the sport: they aren’t paid to be here, they choose to be here. There’s something very special about that. I think it’s also an awesome place to be to allow one to have their priorities to fit what they want them to be. If they are here for academics, that does come first, and there’s no shame in that. There’s a pretty healthy sport-life balance, that’s another reason I was drawn to Division III, because at the end of the day they are still people and swimming is a gift they’ve been given. Division III helps put things in perspective too because they’re able to be involved in other things, and we encourage that. It allows them to develop as people and be more well-rounded, whereas at Division I and Division II, time is more limited.