Gator athletes got talent

Brittany Adams

Women’s softball gets creative with their routine at the All-Athlete Talent Show and uses glow sticks on stage while Shafer Auditorium turns the lights down so the team would glow. The softball team placed third at the talent show on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

The Allegheny women’s basketball team was crowned champion of the All-Athlete Talent Show in Shafer Auditorium on Wednesday, Nov. 11. Men’s baseball took second place, and women’s softball came in third.

Athletes took to the stage to perform songs, dances and skits as opposed to taking the court, field or track to compete. The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee organized the event.

The teams were encouraged to collect donations prior to the performance.

Chris Patrick, ’16, a defensive lineman on the Allegheny football team, addressed the crowd prior to the performances. He explained that SAAC was donating all proceeds to the Special Olympics.

“The idea to get the talent show involved with the Special Olympics was brought to the SAAC executive board and they were all for it,” said Patrick.

Patrick later explained what contributing to the Special Olympics meant to him after the show.

“It means the world to me,” Patrick said. “The lessons, friendships and memories made while playing sports are something that can’t be formed anywhere else. I really think it’s the epitome of Division III, for the love of the game. We as Division III athletes play because we have a pure love and enjoyment of the game and I want to do everything in my power to help the Special Olympics provide that feeling and those friendships to others.”

At the end of the show the donations tallied $470.

As far as entertainment goes, the Allegheny athletes did not disappoint. One of the three judges Portia Hoeg, Allegheny’s director of athletics and recreation, enjoyed seeing a different side of the student athletes.

“My favorite part of the show is seeing the student-athletes display their various talents,” Hoeg said. “I’m privileged to see them perform their sport on a regular basis, but the creativity they display with through dance, skits, videos and musical talent is extraordinary. I’m always amazed at who plays an instrument, dances, raps and acts within each team.”

Brian Saltsman, associate director of Center for Intercultural Awareness & Student Success,  and Yvonne Longstreth, Brooks worker, judged alongside Hoeg.

Ifeyinwa Uwazie, ’16, a forward on the Allegheny women’s basketball team, led the performance and helped her team come together to outlast nine other acts in route to victory.

“I’m just glad everyone on my team went out there and had as much fun with it as I did,” said Uwazie. “We all came together to learn some pretty tough moves in only two days while prepping for our first game this Friday and it feels amazing that we were able to work hard through all that and win it.”

The women’s basketball team was awarded 150 Gold Rush points for the winning performance. Baseball earned 100 points and softball earned 50 points. At the end of the academic year, the team with the most Gold Rush points wins the Gold Rush Cup.

The women’s soccer team show their love for one another in their dance routine.
Brittany Adams

The winners of the talent show, the women’s basketball team, perform their routine.  Emma Pellicano, ’16, Rachel Vigliotti, ’16, and Jess Mrdjenovich, ’16, dance to “Pitch Perfect” on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.
Brittany Adams
The winners of the talent show, the women’s basketball team, perform their routine. Emma Pellicano, ’16, Rachel Vigliotti, ’16, and Jess Mrdjenovich, ’16, dance to “Pitch Perfect” on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

The Allegheny men’s swimming and diving team flex their muscles on stage as they squat one of their teammates.
Brittany Adams

Thomas Manning, '16, a member of the men's tennis team performs as Napoleon Dynamite before he is joined by his teammates on stage.
Brittany Adams
Thomas Manning, ’16, a member of the men’s tennis team performs as Napoleon Dynamite before he is joined by his teammates on stage.