Orchesis 2015

Annual dance recital returns to campus for another year of student-choreographed pieces

+Carissa+Lange%2C+%E2%80%9918%2C+leads+dancers+in+a+piece+she+choreographed+to+the+song+%E2%80%9CCrazy+in+Love%E2%80%9D+at+dress+rehearsal+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+3%2C+2015.

Brittany Adams

Carissa Lange, ’18, leads dancers in a piece she choreographed to the song “Crazy in Love” at dress rehearsal on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.

The ladies and gentlemen of the Orchesis Dance Company will perform on Nov. 5-7 in the Shafer Auditorium. With over a dozen choreographed numbers for students, by students, Orchesis will entertain and inspire the student body.

“Orchesis is a completely student-run organization and the largest student-run organization on campus,” said choreographer and dancer Caroline Brennan, ’17.

Every November, the students put on a show for the entire campus, showcasing the dancing ability of both experienced, trained and beginner dancers.

All applicants are encouraged to audition, and dancer/choreographer Meghan Gilbert, ’17, explained that any and all applicants are welcome, regardless of experience.

“Even if you’ve never danced before, we still want you to be in Orchesis,” Gilbert said.

Both men and women are encouraged to audition.

“As long as you follow the rules of auditions, you are guaranteed to be in the show,” said Brennan.

Applicants are allowed to choose which pieces they would prefer to dance in, with a maximum of four. However, Orchesis encourages dancers to broaden horizons and in order to guarantee

participation, applicants are required to sign up for more performances than they expect to participate in.

“[They] have to audition for two more pieces than [they] want to be in”, said dancer Rayna Pelisari, ’17.

All members agree that it is a rigorous process, which includes roughly eight weeks of practice prior to the final show. And to any hopeful choreographers for next year’s show, pieces must be finished and presented by March.

On average, 90 to 100 dancers perform in the show, with as many as 30 dancers in one number and as few as seven in another, depending on the complexity of the choreography and the ability of the dancers. While men and women are both allowed to audition, dancer and choreographer Cali Banks, ’18, explained that the dance company needs more men.

“We try to recruit more men because the ballroom pieces usually need more men,” said Banks

Each year, several styles of dance are included in the show, and of the seventeen pieces which make up this year’s performance, everything from hip-hop to ballet, contemporary to tap will be presented to the student body.

The show begins at 8 p.m. sharp, with a 15 minute intermission in between two acts.

Go watch and support these men and women as they debut their dancing and choreographing abilities. Admission for all is free.

All students that choreographed a piece for Orchesis show off their skills on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.
Brittany Adams

Students do a kick line while performing a tap dance number choreographed by Lauren Winterberg, ’16, to the song “The Way You Look Tonight” on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.
Brittany Adams

Five student dancers perform Abby Walters’, ’17, modern interpretive dance to Hosier’s “Work Song” on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.
Brittany Adams