Springfest occurs largely without incident

Typically considered the biggest party weekend at Allegheny College, this year’s Springfest was considered to be fairly calm and less eventful than other weekends.

From April 17-19, six incidents were reported by safety and security: three alcohol-related incidents, one marijuana report, one count of criminal mischief in the form of vandalism and one event of harassment by a graduated student. According to Jeffrey Schneider, director of campus security, there were also two arrests made by the Meadville Police Department of students, both of which were for public drunkenness.

Having been at Allegheny for five Springfests, Schneider believes that this year’s event was better than previous years in terms of student behavior.

I’ve seen worse Springfests…We’ve seen more on a regular weekend.

— Jeffrey Schneider

“I’ve seen worse Springfests,” Schneider said. “I think it went well, there was no one injured, no one hurt, no one reported any crimes of violence, there were no fights. Two police arrests of our students wasn’t bad, we’ve seen more on a regular weekend.”

Because of expectations for Springfest, safety and security, residence life and the dean’s office all increased their presence on Friday and Saturday night and Schneider also believes that the Meadville police increased their force over the weekend.

While security usually staffs three men on weekend nights, an additional individual was scheduled for the night shifts over Springfest weekend, according to Schneider.

Joe DiChristina, dean of students, said that even the dean’s office increased their average staffing. On weekends, one area coordinator and one dean are on-call. For Springfest, there were two area coordinators and three deans on both Friday and Saturday, patrolling campus to help minimize disruption and danger.

“I believe that over time, students have come to accept that,” DiChristina said. “Just having presence in those spaces, that’s an unusual thing, but hopefully in some sense a deterrent… really trying to create as safe a space as one can in a situation where college students found warm weather and are having a party.”

Lee Scandinaro, ’15, community adviser of Baldwin, does not think Springfest is typically a bad event as far as Baldwin residents are concerned.

“I think compared to other times of the year, Springfest is not too bad in Baldwin,” Scandinaro said. “I can’t speak for the rest of the campus.”

The ultimate goal for RAs and CAs, according to Scandinaro, is to monitor student safety.

“We’re just students, just like everyone else and we’re expected to keep everyone safe,” Scandinaro said. “It’s a lot of pressure, but it would be nice for people to know that we’re students just like everyone else, trying to keep other students from dying. It’s more weight on us to think that this is a time when people are going to get crazy.”

Regardless of the expectations for students to find trouble during Springfest, administration and security primarily focus on maintaining respect for neighbors of the college and ensuring student safety, according to DiChristina and Schneider. Understanding that though, Schneider believes that safety and security, along with Meadville police, have developed a more lenient approach to Springfest.

“On Springfest, I would think [we’re] probably a little more lenient,” Schneider said. “I don’t know how that culture developed, it’s been around for years. I wasn’t here when the culture began, I don’t know how many years it’s been going on.”