Artist: quilts tell stories

Rodolpho Camargo

Professor Elizabeth Ozorak and Louise Silk hold one of Silk’s quilts after her presentation on Wednesday Feb. 4.

Fiber artist Louise Silk completed her first quilt in 1972. A local of Pittsburgh, Silk gave a presentation showcasing well-known works throughout the history of quilting on Wednesday, Feb. 4.

“[The craft is] around. There are a lot of ways to participate,” said Silk. “There are lot of organizations now. In Pittsburgh there are three guilds and probably ten shops.”

Psychology professor, Elizabeth Ozorak, met Silk through a sewing meditation class taught by Silk eight years ago. They have been in contact ever since.

“A bunch of us [in the class] found out she was a quilter in the course of the conversation,” Ozorak said. “And we said, you should do a quilting class.”

Ozorak teaches an FS 102 class called “Quilts, Stories and Social Change” where students pick a theme and work on their own pieces to be sewn in a final project.

Annette Boswell holds one of the other craftworks by Silk. The quilt pictured a tree outside of Silk’s home in Pittsburgh.
Rodolpho Camargo

“As a guy who really doesn’t share his feelings and is quite conservative when it comes to talking about stuff like that, it was a challenge,” said Johnathon Opet, ’17, who was in the class last semester. “The class, when it came to creating things, was enjoyable and different from a normal class and allowed me to be more comfortable when presenting in class or in front of a group.”

The craft is a meditative activity whether one is creating or receiving a work, Silk said.

“Quilts are trying to express all kinds of ideas.”